Surry County, North Carolina Genealogy Guide
|Other NC Resources|
| NC Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
NC Ancestor Records
NC Military Databases
NC Data Collections
NC Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Surry County, North Carolina (Map It) was created on 1771 from Rowan County. This county was named for the county of Surrey in England, birthplace of then governor William Tryon. Learn More About State of North Carolina History.
Surry County is bordered by Carroll County, Virginia (north), Patrick County, Virginia (northeast), Stokes County (east), Forsyth County (southeast), Yadkin County (south), Wilkes County (southwest), Alleghany County (northwest), Grayson County, Virginia (northwest).
Surry County Cities and Towns include Dobson, Elkin, Mount Airy, PilotMountain, FlatRock, Little Richmond, Mountain Park, Shoals, Siloam, State Road, Toast, White Plains. A Map of Surry County, North Carolina contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Surry County Townships include Bryan, Dobson, Eldora, Elkin, Franklin, Long Hill, Marsh, Mount Airy, Pilot, Rockford, Shoals, Siloam, South Westfield, Stewarts Creek, and Westfield. View a Map of Surry County Townships.
Surry County, North Carolina Courthouse Records
Surry County, NC Courthouse
Old Surry County Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Surry county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered. Also see the Surry County Records in the North Carolina State Archives.
- Surry County Register of Deeds has Birth Records from 1912, Marriage Records from 1778, Death Records from 1912 and Land Records from 1771. The Register of Deeds holds land and vital records if they have not been transferred to the state archives in Raleigh. Land records may include deeds, grants, plats, and other miscellaneous items. houses most birth and death records and marriage licenses.
- Surry County Clerk of Court has Probate Records from 1770, Court Records from 1770 and Divorce Records from call court clerk for details. The County Clerk of Court holds probate records and court records if they have not been transferred to the state archives in Raleigh. Probate records include not only wills, but also loose estates records. Court records may include apprentice bonds, bastardy bonds, and officials' or constables' bonds in addition to dockets, fee and account books, and court minutes and orders. They also have Divorce Records.
- Surry County Tax Assessor / Collector
- Surry Co. North Carolina County Health Department
Surry County, North Carolina Census Records
- Learn More: State of North Carolina Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1790 (incomplete), 1800 (incomplete), 1810 (incomplete), 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820, Census Substitutes Index, 1790-1890
- State Population Schedules: 1784-1787
- Native American Population Schedules: 1894-1913
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Surry County, North Carolina Vital Records
- Learn More: State of North Carolina Vital Records
- Birth Records: from October 1913 to present
- Marriage Records: from January 1962 to present
- Death Records: from January 1, 1930 to present
- Divorce Records: from January 1958 to present
- Locations: North Carolina Vital Records
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Death, Divorce and Marriage Certificate Applications.
- In Person: North Carolina Vital Records (Cooper Memorial Health Building), 225 N. McDowell St., Raleigh, NC 27603-1382; 919-733-3000
Surry County, North Carolina Resources
- New River Notes
- Surry County Genealogical Association
- Surry County Historical Society
- Surry County, North Carolina Message Boards
- Surry County, North Carolina Genealogy Forum read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Surry County
Surry County, North Carolina External Links
- Historical Newspapers from North Carolina (1719 - 1977)
- Surry County, North Carolina Books - Amazon
- Marriages of Surry County, North Carolina 1779-1868
- 1812 tax list of Surry County, North Carolina
- Surry Co., North Carolina - FindaGrave
- History of the Fisher's River Primitive Baptist Association from its organization, in 1832, to 1904
- History of Surry County, or, Annals of northwest North Carolina
- Fisher's River (North Carolina) scenes and characters