Patrick County, Virginia Genealogy Guide
|Other VA Resources|
| VA Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
VA Ancestor Records
VA Military Databases
VA Data Collections
VA Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Patrick County, Virginia (Map It) was created in November 26, 1790 from Pittsylvania County and Henry County. Patrick county was named for Patrick Henry, governor of Virginia and U.S. Founding Father .. Learn More About State of Virginia History
Patrick County is bordered by Carroll County (west), Floyd County (northwest), Franklin County (northeast), Henry County (east), Stokes County, North Carolina (south), Surry County, North Carolina (southwest).
Patrick County Cities and Towns include Stuart, Ararat, Claudville, Critz, Penn's Store, Meadows of Dan, Patrick Springs, Vesta, Woolwine, Russell Creek, Mayberry .
Patrick County, Virginia Courthouse Records
Patrick County, VA Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH . The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The Patrick County record dates below are from the earliest date to present time. They may include records of land, estates, taxes, vital records, divorces, naturalizations, voter registration, military discharges and court records.
- Patrick County Clerk of Circuit Court has Marriage Records from 1791, Land Records from 1791, Court Records from 1791 and Probate Records from 1791. The County Clerk of Circuit Court serves as custodian of all county court records, and is responsible for providing access to those court records by court personnel, the legal community and the public.
- Patrick County (VA) Treasurer
- Patrick County Health Department
- County and City Research in Virginia Guides and Indexes County and city records document the daily activities of the courts in Virginia's counties, independent cities, and towns. The Library of Virginia houses both original and microfilm records for many of Virginia's counties and independent cities. The guides list will help researchers navigate the complex variety of county and city records in the Library's collections. It includes County and City Records at the Library of Virginia, Using County and City Court Records, Chancery Cases, Judgments, Lost Records Localities database and Burned Jurisdiction database.
Patrick County, Virginia Census Records
- Learn More: State of Virginia Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1790 (destroyed), 1800 (destroyed), 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820
- State Population Schedules: Virginia Heads of families 1790: records of the state enumerations, 1782 to 1785
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Patrick County, Virginia Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Virginia Vital Records
- Birth & Death Records: from January 1853 to December 1896 and since June 14, 1912 to present. The Virginia Archives has copies of surviving birth and death records for the period 1853 to 1896
- Marriage Records: from January 1853 to present. The Virginia Archives has copies of marriage records prior to 1936.
- Divorce Records: from January 1918 to present.
- Locations: Virginia Office of Vital Statistics, Virginia State Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: 2001 Maywill Street, Richmond, Virginia 23230
Patrick County, Virginia Resources
- State of Virginia Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Virginia
- New River Notes
- Patrick County Historical Society and Museum
- Patrick County Genealogical Society
- The Patrick County Library , has microfilm for Census Records, Slave Schedules, Mortality Schedules, The Enterprise Newspaper, and The Bull Mountain Bugle Newspaper.
- Patrick County, Virginia Message Boards
- Patrick County, Virginia Genealogy Forum
- Patrick County microfilmed holdings at The Library of Virginia
- Virginia Heritage - Guides to manuscript and Archival Collections in Patrick Co. Virginia
Patrick County, Virginia External Links
- Historical Newspapers from Virginia (1784 - 1922 )
- Patrick County, Virginia Books - Amazon
- Using County and City Court Records in the Archives at the Library of Virginia
- Virginia County Records, Volume , VI, VII , IX, X The records in these series were compiled as part of a series known as the Virginia County Records . The volume includes wills, land grants, and marriage bonds as well as other miscellaneous information on early Virginia settlers.
- Patrick Co., Virginia - FindaGrave
- Summary of Patrick County History
- History of Patrick and Henry Counties, Virginia