Wayne County, Missouri Records
Wayne County, Missouri (Map It) was created on December 11, 1818 from Cape Girardeau County and Lawrence County. The county was named in honor of Anthony Wayne (1745–1796), United States Army general and statesman .
Wayne County is bordered by Madison County (north), Bollinger County (east), Stoddard County (southeast), Butler County (south), Carter County (southwest), Reynolds County (west), Iron County (northwest).
Wayne County Cities and Towns include Cascade, Clubb, Coldwater, Greenville, Hiram, Leeper, Lodi, Lowndes, McGee, Mill Spring, Patterson, Piedmont, Shook, Silva, Wappapello, Williamsville.
A Map of Wayne County, Missouri contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Wayne County, Missouri Courthouse Records
Wayne County, MO Courthouse
The Wayne County Courthouse is located in Greenville, Missouri. Courthouse burned in 1853 or 1854, destroying all records. The records in the courthouse were stolen in 1866. Courthouse damaged by fire December 14, 1892, some records destroyed. Few official county records prior to 1893 survive. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Wayne county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Wayne County Recorder of Deeds has Marriage Records from 1892 and Land Records from 1849.
- Wayne County Circuit Court Clerk / Probate Court Clerk has Probate Records from 1869 and Court & Divorce Records from 1893.
- Wayne County Clerk of the Court
- Birth & Death Records: ?
- Wayne County Tax Assessor Office is responsible for appraising and assessing real estate property and person property for the purpose of taxation as well as transferring ownership of real estate, and keeping real estate maps up to date.
- Local Records Inventory Database, produced by the Missouri Local Records Preservation Program, is a compilation of inventories of local government records identified as having permanent or enduring value and housed primarily in county and municipal offices, but includes some libraries, museums, and historical and genealogical societies that maintain government records. Not all Missouri offices have been inventoried.
- Wayne County Health Department has Birth Certificates since 1920 and Death Certificates since 1980
Wayne County, Missouri Census Records
- Learn More: State of Missouri Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1820 (missing), 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820
- State Population Schedules: 1844-1881
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Wayne County, Missouri Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Missouri Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from January 1910 to present
- Marriage Records: from July 1948 to present
- Divorce Records: from July 1948 to present
- Locations: Missouri Office of Vital Statistics
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services, Bureau of Vital Records, Jefferson City, MO 65102, Telephone: 573-751-6387
Wayne County, Missouri Resources
- RAOGK Volunteers for Missouri
- Wayne County Historical Society, Route 1, Box 1117, Piedmont, MO 63957; Phone: (573) 223-7130
- Wayne County, Missouri Message Boards
- Wayne County, Missouri Genealogy Forum
Wayne County, Missouri External Links
- Missouri Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Wayne County, Missouri Books - Amazon
- Wayne Co., Missouri - FindaGrave
- Guide to Wayne County and Municipal Records on Microfilm - Missouri State Archives
- Missouri Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Wayne County, Missouri Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Missouri (1808 - 1922)
- Wayne Co. MOGenweb
- Wayne County, Missouri Ancestry Database Collections
- Wayne County, Missouri Military Records