Butler County, Missouri Records
Butler County, Missouri (Map It) was created on February 27, 1849 from Wayne County. The county was named in honor of William O. Butler (1791-1880), U.S. Representative from Kentucky and vice-presidential nominee under Lewis Cass.
Butler County Cities and Towns include Fisk, Neelyville, Poplar Bluff, Qulin.
Butler County Townships include Ash Hill, Beaver Dam, Black River, Cane Creek, Coon Island, Epps, Gillis Bluff, Neely, Poplar Bluff, St. Francois.
A Map of Butler County, Missouri contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Butler County, Missouri Courthouse Records
Butler County, MO Courthouse
The Butler County Courthouse is located in Poplar Bluff, Missouri. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Butler county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Butler County Recorder of Deeds has Marriage Records from 1878 and Land Records from 1849.
- Butler County Circuit Court Clerk / Probate Court Clerk has Probate Records from 1849 and Court & Divorce Records from 1849.
- Butler County Clerk of the Court has Birth & Death Records from 1883-93.
- Butler County Tax Assessor Office is responsible for appraising and assessing real estate property and person property for the purpose of taxation as well as transferring ownership of real estate, and keeping real estate maps up to date.
- Local Records Inventory Database, produced by the Missouri Local Records Preservation Program, is a compilation of inventories of local government records identified as having permanent or enduring value and housed primarily in county and municipal offices, but includes some libraries, museums, and historical and genealogical societies that maintain government records. Not all Missouri offices have been inventoried.
- Butler County Health Department has Birth Certificates since 1920 and Death Certificates since 1980
Butler County, Missouri Census Records
- Learn More: State of Missouri Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820
- State Population Schedules: 1844-1881
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Butler County, Missouri Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Missouri Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from January 1910 to present
- Marriage Records: from July 1948 to present
- Divorce Records: from July 1948 to present
- Locations: Missouri Office of Vital Statistics
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services, Bureau of Vital Records, Jefferson City, MO 65102, Telephone: 573-751-6387
Butler County, Missouri Resources
- RAOGK Volunteers for Missouri
- Butler County Genealogical Society
- Butler County, Missouri Message Boards
- Butler County, Missouri Genealogy Forum
Butler County, Missouri External Links
- Missouri Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Butler County, Missouri Books - Amazon
- Butler Co., Missouri - FindaGrave
- Guide to Butler County and Municipal Records on Microfilm - Missouri State Archives
- Missouri Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Butler County, Missouri Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Missouri (1808 - 1922)
- Butler Co. MOGenweb
- Butler County, Missouri Ancestry Database Collections
- Butler County, Missouri Military Records