Stoddard County, Missouri Records
Stoddard County, Missouri (Map It) was created on January 2, 1835 from New Madrid County. The county was named in honor of Amos Stoddard (1762–1813), the only commandant of Upper Louisiana for the French Republic and the only commandant for the District of Louisiana for the United States in 1804 during the handover of the Louisiana Purchase.
Stoddard County is bordered by Bollinger County (north), Cape Girardeau County (northeast), Scott County (northeast), New Madrid County (southeast), Dunklin County (south), Butler County (southwest), Wayne County (northwest).
Stoddard County Cities and Towns include Advance, Baker, Bell City, Bernie, Bloomfield, Brownwood, Dexter, Dudley, Essex, Grayridge, Guam, Idalia, Leora, Painton, Penermon, Puxico.
A Map of Stoddard County, Missouri contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Stoddard County, Missouri Courthouse Records
Stoddard County, MO Courthouse
The Stoddard County Courthouse is located in Bloomfield, Missouri. During Price's raid in September 1864, the courthouse was burned by some stragglers, but fortunately the records had been removed. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Stoddard county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Stoddard County Recorder of Deeds has Marriage Records from 1863 and Land Records from 1835.
- Stoddard County Circuit Court Clerk / Probate Court Clerk has Probate Records from 1835 and Court & Divorce Records from 1835.
- Stoddard County Clerk of the Court has Birth & Death Records from 1883–87.
- Stoddard County Tax Assessor Office is responsible for appraising and assessing real estate property and person property for the purpose of taxation as well as transferring ownership of real estate, and keeping real estate maps up to date.
- Local Records Inventory Database, produced by the Missouri Local Records Preservation Program, is a compilation of inventories of local government records identified as having permanent or enduring value and housed primarily in county and municipal offices, but includes some libraries, museums, and historical and genealogical societies that maintain government records. Not all Missouri offices have been inventoried.
- Stoddard County Health Department has Birth Certificates since 1920 and Death Certificates since 1980
Stoddard County, Missouri Census Records
- Learn More: State of Missouri Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820
- State Population Schedules: 1844-1881
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Stoddard County, Missouri Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Missouri Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from January 1910 to present
- Marriage Records: from July 1948 to present
- Divorce Records: from July 1948 to present
- Locations: Missouri Office of Vital Statistics
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services, Bureau of Vital Records, Jefferson City, MO 65102, Telephone: 573-751-6387
Stoddard County, Missouri Resources
- RAOGK Volunteers for Missouri
- Stoddard County Missouri Genealogy Society
- Stoddard County Historical Society
- Stars & Stripes Museum/Library
- The Heritage Museum, 11 North Walnut Street, Dexter, MO 63841; Phone: (573) 624-8020
- Stoddard County, Missouri Message Boards
- Stoddard County, Missouri Genealogy Forum
Stoddard County, Missouri External Links
- Missouri Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Stoddard County, Missouri Books - Amazon
- Stoddard Co., Missouri - FindaGrave
- Guide to Stoddard County and Municipal Records on Microfilm - Missouri State Archives
- Missouri Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Stoddard County, Missouri Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Missouri (1808 - 1922)
- Stoddard Co. MOGenweb
- Stoddard County, Missouri Ancestry Database Collections
- Stoddard County, Missouri Military Records