Statewide Census Records that exist for Utah are 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880, 1890 (fragment, see below), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930 and 1940. There are Industry and Agriculture Schedules 1870 and 1880; the Mortality Schedules for the years 1870 and 1880; and the Union Veterans Schedules for 1890.
Researchers should note that the 1850 Utah census was actually taken the following year. The Genealogical Society of Utah’s Index to Utah 1851 Census contains an index created from the original federal returns. The FHL also has microfilmed copies of mortality schedules on file.
Index to the 1850, 1860, and 1870 Censuses of Utah. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1981 is a collapsed index. It details the territory’s records for the first three federal censuses. Online census records and AISI indexes for Utah are also available.
State censuses and territorial censuses were taken throughout Utah’s history. Portions of those records still exist for 1852, 1856, 1872, and 1896. Tax lists have often been used to fill in census gaps. For example, the FHL has the LDS 1852 Bishops Reports index on file. The microfilmed records contain a listing of each head of household organized according to LDS ward.
AISI and Bryan Lee Dilts in 1856 Utah Census Index indexed and published the 1856 list. It was originally meant to help Utah gain statehood. Unfortunately, that list may not be accurate. It contains some names of people who were either LDS Church members that didn’t live in the territory or people who were known to be deceased at the time.
Searchable Utah Census Databases and other Helpful Links
- Rootsweb Utah Census Look Ups (rootsweb.ancestry.com)
- Utah Census QuickFacts (census.gov)
- Links to Online Utah Census Records (census-online.com)
- Utah Census Extraction Forms (ancestry.com)
- U.S. Federal Census Guides
- United States Federal Census for Utah (search.ancestry.com)
- Utah Census, 1850-90 (search.ancestry.com)
- 1860 Utah Federal Census (fold3.com)
- 1930 Utah Federal Census (fold3.com)
- Census 2000 Data for the State of Utah (census.gov)
- Overview of the U.S. Census (ancestry.co.uk)
- Utah Census Books (amazon.com)