Statewide Georgia Census records that exist are 1790 missing, 1800 missing, 1810 missing, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880, 1890 (fragment, see below), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930 and 1940.
There are Industry and Agriculture Schedules 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. The Mortality Schedules for the years 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. The Union Veterans Schedules exist for 1890.
Georgia Territory censuses were recorded in 1823, 1825, and 1827, only the 1823.
The earliest surviving Georgia census record is the 1820 census record. So, researchers must use other documentation to make up for the missing census records from other years. Some excellent census substitutes come from Wilkes County because over 40% of the state’s citizens lived there in 1790.
Researchers should note that the Franklin County, Rabun County, and Twiggs County census records for 1820 have been lost. Other county records may be missing names or have names that are illegible. Military records, land lottery records, tax lists, and other documents can also be used to fill in missing census information.
A complete set of mortality schedules and census records for Georgia can be found at the FHL, as well as at the Georgia Archives.
Between 1787 and 1866 several Georgia state censuses were taken. However, only some of them are still extant today. Most of them only list heads of households. Several sources have published those records for years before 1852. The Georgia Archives has most of the surviving later census records on microfilm.
Missing Georgia Censuses
Georgia State and Territorial Census
Georgia conducted state censuses for various years from 1787 to 1866. Only a few state Census Reports survive. See State Census Reports at the Georgia Archives to see what is available.
Searchable Georgia Census Databases and other Helpful Links
- Georgia Census Extraction Forms
- 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880, 1890, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930
- United States Federal Census for Georgia
- 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820,1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880, 1890, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- Georgia Census, 1790-1890
- The Reconstructed 1790 Census of Georgia
- Index to the 1830 Census of Georgia
- Index to the United States Census of Georgia for 1820
- 1864 Census for Re-Organizing the Georgia Militia
- Census records and Cherokee muster rolls
- 1860 Federal Slave Schedule
- Georgia Census Books