Monmouth County, New Jersey Genealogy Guide
|Other NJ Resources|
|NJ Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
NJ Ancestor Records
NJ Military Databases
NJ Data Collections
NJ Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Monmouth County, New Jersey (Map It) was created on March 1, 1683 as one of four original counties created in East Jersey. The county was named for the historic county of Monmouthshire in Wales. Learn More About State of New Jersey History
Monmouth County is bordered by Middlesex County (north), Ocean County (south), Burlington County (southwest), Mercer County (west), Queens County (Queens), New York (northeast), Richmond County (Staten Island), New York (north).
Monmouth County Cities and Towns include Asbury Park, Long Branch, Loch Arbour. Communities include Adelphia, Allenwood, Belford, Cliffwood Beach, Colonial Terrace, East Freehold, Elberon, Fairview, Imlaystown, Leonardo, Lincroft, Morganville, Navesink, New Monmouth, North Middletown, Oakhurst, Ocean Grove, Port-au-peck, Port Monmouth, Ramtown, River Plaza, Sandy Hook, Shark River Hills, Strathmore, Wanamassa, Wayside, West Allenhurst, West Belmar, West Freehold, Wickatunk, Yorketown.
Monmouth County Townships include Aberdeen, Colts Neck, Freehold, Hazlet, Holmdel, Howell, Manalapan, Marlboro, Middletown, Millstone, Neptune, Ocean, Shrewsbury, Upper Freehold, Wall. Boroughs include Allenhurst, Allentown, Atlantic Highlands, Avon-by-the-Sea, Belmar, Bradley Beach, Brielle, Deal, Eatontown, Englishtown, Fair Haven, Farmingdale, Freehold Borough, Highlands, Interlaken, Keansburg, Keyport, Lake Como, Little Silver, Manasquan, Matawan, Monmouth Beach, Neptune City, Oceanport, Red Bank, Roosevelt, Rumson, Sea Bright, Sea Girt, Shrewsbury, Spring Lake, Spring Lake Heights, Tinton Falls, Union Beach, West Long Branch.
A Map of Monmouth County, New Jersey contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Monmouth County, New Jersey Courthouse Records
Monmouth County, NJ Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Monmouth county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered. Some records were destroyed by the British in 1778, which might explain the gap in the deeds from 1756 to 1785. Older records have been transferred to a county records center.
- Monmouth County Clerk has Land Records from 1766 mortgages / 1667 deeds and Marriage Records from 1683. The County Clerk is responsible for land records, including deeds and mortgages, naturalizations, marriages (usually 1795-1840s), and various county court records. A few original county justice of the peace dockets are at the New Jersey State Archives.
- Monmouth CountySurrogate Court / Orphan's Court has Probate Records from 1785 orphans' court minutes / 1804 surrogates' records. The County Surrogate Court / Orphan's Court probates Wills, appoints Administrators, appoints Guardians for minors, handles applications for Adult Incapacitated Persons, Conservatorships, Adoptions, contested Probate matters, Accountings, Trusts and most other matters involving Estates.
- Monmouth County Treasurer is responsible for the collection of taxes.
- New Jersey Department of Health has copies of Birth, Marriage and Death records from 1878 to the present. There is a fee for each copy requested. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Monmouth County, New Jersey Census Records
- Learn More: State of New Jersey Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1643-1890
- State Population Schedules: 1895
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Monmouth County, New Jersey Vital Records
- Learn More: State of New Jersey Vital Records
- Birth, Marriage and Death Records: from 1901 to present
- Divorce Records: does not have divorce records. At the Superior Court of New Jersey Records Center
- Locations: New Jersey State Department of Health and Senior Services, New Jersey State Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: New Jersey State Department of Health and Senior Services, State Registrar Search Unit, PO Box 370, Trenton, NJ 08625-0370; (609) 292-4087
Monmouth County, New Jersey Resources
- Monmouth County NJ Genealogy Group
- Monmouth County Archives
- Monmouth County Historical Association
- Monmouth County Historical Commission
- Howell Historical Society
- Keyport Historical Society, Broad Street Keyport, NJ 07735; (732) 739-6390
- Matawan Historical Society, 94 Main St Matawan, NJ 07747; 732-566-5605
- Middletown Township Historical Society
- Neptune Township Historical Society, 25 Neptune Blvd., Neptune NJ
- Ocean Grove, Historical Society Of, 53 Central Avenue, Ocean Grove NJ
- Old Wall Historical Society
- Spring Lake Historical Society
- Shrewsbury Historical Society
- Spring Lake Historical Society
- Squan Village Historical Society
- Monmouth County, New Jersey Message Boards
- Monmouth County, New Jersey Genealogy Forum read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Monmouth County
Monmouth County, New Jersey External Links
- Historical Newspapers from New Jersey (1777 - 1972)
- Monmouth County, New Jersey Books - Amazon
- Intestates and Others from the Orphans Court Books of Monmouth Co., N.J., 1785-1906
- Abstracts of Partitions and Divisions of the New Jersey Counties of Monmouth, Mercer, and Burlington
- Monmouth County cemetery guide
- Monmouth Co., New Jersey - FindaGrave
- Inventory of the church archives of New Jersey
- Early Dutch settlers of Monmouth County, New Jersey
- A history of Monmouth and Ocean Counties
- History of Rumson, 1665-1944