Burlington County, New Jersey Records
Burlington County, New Jersey (Map It) was created on 1694 as one of two original counties created in West Jersey. The county was named for the old ancient name for an inland market near Bridlington, England .
Burlington County is bordered by Mercer County (north), Monmouth County (northeast), Ocean County (east), Atlantic County (south), Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania (west), Camden County (west), Bucks County, Pennsylvania (northwest).
Burlington County Cities and Towns include Beverly, Bordentown, Burlington. Communities include Browns Mills, Chatsworth, Country Lake Estates, Crosswicks, Florence-Roebling, Fort Dix, Jobstown, Leisuretowne, Marlton, McGuire Air Force Base, Moorestown-Lenola, |New Gretna, Pemberton Heights, Presidential Lakes Estates, Ramblewood, Vincentown.
Burlington County Townships include Bass River, Bordentown, Burlington, Chesterfield, Cinnaminson, Delanco, Delran, Eastampton, Edgewater Park, Evesham, Florence, Hainesport, Lumberton, Mansfield, Maple Shade, Medford, Moorestown, Mount Holly, Mount Laurel, New Hanover, North Hanover, Pemberton, Riverside, Shamong, Southampton, Springfield, Tabernacle, Washington, Westampton, Willingboro, Woodland. Boroughs include Fieldsboro, Medford Lakes, Palmyra, Pemberton, Riverton, Wrightstown.
A Map of Burlington County, New Jersey contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Burlington County, New Jersey Courthouse Records
Burlington County, NJ Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Burlington county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
Courts were established in 1681.
- Burlington County Clerk has Land Records from 1766 mortgages /1785 deeds and Marriage Records from 1694. The County Clerk is responsible for land records, including deeds and mortgages, naturalizations, marriages (usually 1795-1840s), and various county court records. A few original county justice of the peace dockets are at the New Jersey State Archives.
- Burlington County Surrogate Court / Orphan's Court has Probate Records from 1785 orphans' court minutes / 1804 surrogates' records. The County Surrogate Court / Orphan's Court probates Wills, appoints Administrators, appoints Guardians for minors, handles applications for Adult Incapacitated Persons, Conservatorships, Adoptions, contested Probate matters, Accountings, Trusts and most other matters involving Estates.
- Burlington County Treasurer is responsible for the collection of taxes.
- New Jersey Department of Health has copies of Birth, Marriage and Death records from 1878 to the present. There is a fee for each copy requested. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Burlington County, New Jersey Census Records
- Learn More: State of New Jersey Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1643-1890
- State Population Schedules: 1895
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Burlington County, New Jersey Vital Records
- Learn More: State of New Jersey Vital Records
- Birth, Marriage and Death Records: from 1901 to present
- Divorce Records: does not have divorce records. At the Superior Court of New Jersey Records Center
- Locations: New Jersey State Department of Health and Senior Services, New Jersey State Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: New Jersey State Department of Health and Senior Services, State Registrar Search Unit, PO Box 370, Trenton, NJ 08625-0370; (609) 292-4087
Burlington County, New Jersey Resources
- Burlington County Historical Society
- Burlington County Genealogy Club
- Burlington County Historian
- Bordentown Historical Society
- Evesham Historical Society
- Florence Historical Society
- Medford Historical Society
- Moorestown, Historical Society
- Mt. Holly Historical Society
- Oliver Cromwell Black History Society
- Southampton Historical Society
- Southampton Historical Society
- Burlington County, New Jersey Message Boards
- Burlington County, New Jersey Genealogy Forum read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Burlington County
Burlington County, New Jersey External Links
- Historical Newspapers from New Jersey (1777 - 1972)
- Burlington County, New Jersey Books - Amazon
- Abstracts of Partitions and Divisions of the New Jersey Counties of Monmouth, Mercer, and Burlington
- The Burlington court book : a record of Quaker jurisprudence in West New Jersey, 1680-1709
- Burlington Co., New Jersey - FindaGrave
- Inventory of the church archives of New Jersey
- The Burlington Court Book
- Burlington County, New Jersey Links - Cyndi's List
- Burlington Co. NJGenweb
- Burlington, New Jersey Directory, 1889-90
- Burlington County directory for 1876-77
- Bordentown, Burlington & Mt. Holly directory for 1868-69
- Burlington County, New Jersey Ancestry Database Collections
- Burlington County, New Jersey Military Records