Macon County, Alabama Genealogy Guide
|Other AL Resources|
| AL Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
AL Ancestor Records
AL Military Databases
AL Data Collections
AL Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Macon County, Alabama (Map It) was created on December 18, 1832 from territory acquired from the last cession of the Creek Indians, March 24, 1832. Macon County received its present dimensions in 1866. Macon county was named in honor of Nathaniel Macon, a distinguished soldier and statesman from North Carolina. Learn More About State of Alabama History
Macon County Cities and Towns include Franklin, Creek Stand, Notasulga, Shorter, Tuskegee.
Macon County, Alabama Courthouse Records
Macon County, AL Courthouse
The Macon County Courthouse is located in Tuskegee, Alabama, which means "warrior" in the Muskhogean dialect of the Creek Indian language. Learn More About State of Alabama Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Macon county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Macon County Clerk of Circuit Court has Court Records from 1828 and has Divorce Records maintained among the equity records. Divorces issued prior to 1950 are located here. Divorces issued prior to 1950 are located here. Divorces issued after 1950 can be found at the Alabama Department of Public Health. The County Clerk of Circuit Court serves as custodian of all county court records, and is responsible for providing access to those court records by court personnel, the legal community and the public.
- Macon County Clerk of Probate Court has Marriage Records from 1832, Probate Records from 1824 and Land Records from 1832. The County Clerk of Probate Court maintains following records in the probate office: Plats, Maps, Judgments, Liens, Deeds, Mortgages, Corporations, Lis pendens, Marriage licenses, Military discharges. The Probate Judge presides over all probate court hearings for Probate of Wills, Administrations, Conservators, Guardianships, Adoptions, Legitimations, Name changes, Condemnations, Mental Commitment hearings, and performs marriage ceremonies. The office of the probate judge is the county office where the most significant genealogical records are created and maintained in Alabama. A variety of records are housed in this office.
- Macon County Revenue Commissioner's Office maintains County tax records. These records are usually arranged by legal description and are not indexed.
- Macon County Health Department has Birth Records from 1928 , Death records from 1928 .
Macon County, Alabama Census Records
- Learn More: State of Alabama Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820
- State Population Schedules: 1820-1866, 1867
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Macon County, Alabama Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Alabama Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from January 1908 to present.
- Marriage Records: from August 1936 to present.
- Divorce Records: from January 1950 to present.
- Locations: Alabama Office of Vital Statistics, The RSA Tower, 201 Monroe Street, Montgomery, Alabama 36104.
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Certificate Applications.
Macon County, Alabama Resources
- State of Alabama Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Alabama
- Macon County Genealogical Society, c/o Tuskegee Public Library, 302 S. Main St., Tuskegee, AL 36083
- Tuskegee Public Library, 334-727-5192
- Macon County Archives, 210 North Elm St., Tuskegee, AL 35611; 334-724-2619
- Genealogical Society of East Alabama
- Macon County, Alabama Message Boards
- Macon County, Alabama Genealogy Forum
- Macon County, Alabama Mailing lists