Stewart County, Tennessee Records
Stewart County, Tennessee (Map It) was created on November 1, 1803 from Davidson County and Montgomery County. This Stewart County was named in honor of Duncan Stewart, Tennessee state legislator and lieutenant governor of Mississippi Territory.
Stewart County is bordered by Trigg County, Kentucky (north), Christian County, Kentucky (northeast), Montgomery County (east), Houston County (south), Benton County (southwest), Henry County (west) and Calloway County, Kentucky (northwest) .
Stewart County Cities and Towns include Bumpus Mills, Cumberland City, Dover .
A Map of Stewart County, Tennessee contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Stewart County, Tennessee Courthouse Records
Stewart County, TN Courthouse
The Stewart County Courthouse is located in Dover, Tennessee. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Stewart county or in the Tennessee State Library & Archives. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
There was a fire at the Stewart County courthouse in 1862.
- Stewart County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1849 and Probate Records from 1812.
- Stewart County Register of Deeds has Land & Deed Records from 1796.
- Stewart County Clerk of Circuit Court has Chancery Court Minutes from 1865, Circuit Court Minutes from 1821 and County Court Minutes 1804.
- Stewart County Property Assessor has Tax Records from 1808, 1811, 1827-1833, 1836-1838, 1841-1843, 1846-1849, 1850-1853, 1855-1861, 1877-1900 and are located at the Tennessee State Library and Archives. Tax lists can be used to locate families, document historic properties and study community history. Early tax lists generally include all white males over 21 and indicate whether they owned land or slaves.
- Stewart County Health Department issues birth certificates and death certificates (deaths which occurred in that county within the past three years, and a few county health departments keep death records for longer periods of time).
Stewart County, Tennessee Census Records
- Learn More: State of Tennessee Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1810 (part), 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Stewart County, Tennessee Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Tennessee Vital Records
- Birth Records: from January 1914 to present, also for Nashville since June 1881, for Knoxville since July 1881, and for Chattanooga since January 1882
- Marriage, Divorce and Death Records: from the past 50 years to present.
- Locations: Tennessee Office of Vital Records, Tennessee State Library and Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Tennessee Office of Vital Records, 1st Floor, Central Services Building, 421 Fifth Avenue, North, Nashville, TN 37243; PH: 615-741-1763
Stewart County, Tennessee Resources
- State of Tennessee Archives and Societies
- Stewart County Archives, 660 Old Highway 79, Dover , TN 37058; (931) 232-7062
- Fort Donelson National Battlefield, 101 Petty Street, PO Box 434, Dover, TN 37058 931-232-5706
- RAOGK Volunteers for Tennessee
- Stewart County, Tennessee Message Boards
- Genealogical "Fact Sheets" About Stewart County
Stewart County, Tennessee External Links
- Historical Newspapers from Tennessee (1795 - 1929 )
- Tennessee Newspaper List by County and City
- Stewart County, Tennessee Books - Amazon
- Tennessee Real Estate Assessment Data Property Search
- Stewart County Records on Microfilm - Order County Microfilm Inventories and Reels
- Early Stewart County Records Available on Interlibrary Loan
- Stewart Co., Tennessee - FindaGrave
- Stewart County History and Culture
- Stewart County, Tennessee Links - Cyndi's List
- Stewart Co. TNGenweb
- Stewart County, Tennessee Ancestry Database Collections
- Stewart Co. D.O.T. County Highway Map
- Stewart County, Tennessee Military Records