Davidson County, Tennessee Genealogy Guide
|Other TN Resources|
| TN Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
TN Ancestor Records
TN Military Databases
TN Data Collections
TN Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Davidson County, Tennessee (Map It) was created on October 6, 1783 from Washington County, North Carolina. This Davidson County was named in honor of William Lee Davidson (1746–1781), a Brigadier General who died at the Revolutionary War Battle of Cowan's Ford.Learn More About State of Tennessee History
Davidson County Cities and Towns include Belle Meade, Berry Hill, Forest Hills, Goodlettsville (partial), Lakewood, Nashville (Nashville's government is merged with Davidson County), Oak Hill, Ridgetop (partial) . A Map of Davidson County, Tennessee contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Davidson County, Tennessee Courthouse Records
Davidson County, TN Courthouse
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Davidson county or in the Tennessee State Library & Archives. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Davidson County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1784 and Probate Records from 1784. The County Clerk maintains Marriage & Divorce records. It also has jurisdiction over probate cases. Wills, administrations, and all other records pertaining to probate are recorded in the respective county clerk's office. If the will or administration was contested, the records of these actions may be filed in the circuit court or chancery court.
- Davidson County Register of Deeds has Land & Deed Records from 1784 . The County Register of Deeds has land records beginning with county organization, land records are available from the register of deeds at the Sevier county courthouse. Land and property records include transfer of real estate or personal property, mortgages, leases, surveys, and entries.
- Davidson County Clerk of Circuit Court has Chancery Court Minutes from 1846, Circuit Court Minutes from 1803 and County Court Minutes 1783 . The County Clerk of Circuit Court has jurisdiction over property disputes, and circuit courts oversee criminal cases, divorces, and adoptions. Early courts included courts of common pleas and quarter sessions.
- Davidson County Property Assessor has Tax Records from 1789, 1805, 1811, 1829, 1839, 1871-1873, 1881-1900 and are located at the Tennessee State Library and Archives. The County Property Assessor is responsible for the evaluation of all real property, the cadastral mapping of the county, valuation of all business personal property and maintaining ownership records. The property assessor prepares the tax rolls for the trustee and all the municipalities. Tax lists can be used to locate families, document historic properties and study community history. Early tax lists generally include all white males over 21 and indicate whether they owned land or slaves.
- Davidson County Health Department issues birth certificates and death certificates (deaths which occurred in that county within the past three years, and a few county health departments keep death records for longer periods of time).
Davidson County, Tennessee Census Records
- Learn More: State of Tennessee Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1800 (part), 1810 (part), 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820
- State Territory Census: 1770-1790 Census of the Cumberland Settlements
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Davidson County, Tennessee Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Tennessee Vital Records
- Birth Records: from January 1914 to present, also for Nashville since June 1881, for Knoxville since July 1881, and for Chattanooga since January 1882
- Marriage, Divorce and Death Records: from the past 50 years to present.
- Locations: Tennessee Office of Vital Records, Tennessee State Library and Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Tennessee Office of Vital Records, 1st Floor, Central Services Building, 421 Fifth Avenue, North, Nashville, TN 37243; PH: 615-741-1763
Davidson County, Tennessee Resources
- State of Tennessee Archives and Societies
- Metropolitan Government Archives
- Historical Commission of Metropolitan Nashville
- The Public Library of Nashville and Davidson County- The Ben West Library, 225 Polk Avenue, Nashville, TN 37203; Phone: (615) 862-5783; Hours: Mon. -Sat. 8:00-5:00, Sun. (Oct-May) 2:00 - 5:00
- Nashville Historical Newsletter, 2707 Lakeland Drive, Nashville, TN 37214
- The Tennessee Historical Society
- Middle Tennessee Genealogical Society
- Aquinas College Library, 4210 Harding Road, Nashville, TN 37205 615-297-7545, ext. 5
- Belle Meade Plantation, 5025 Harding Road, Nashville, TN 37205 615-356-0501
- Belmont University, Lila D. Bunch Library, Belmont Special Collections, 1900 Belmont Blvd., Nashville, TN 37212 615-460-6782
- Meharry Medical College Archives, (Meharry Medical College Library), 1005 D. B. Todd Boulevard, Nashville, TN 37208 615-327-6728
- Saint Thomas Hospital, Julius Jacobs Health Sciences Library, 4220 Harding Road, PO Box 380, Nashville, TN 37205 615-222-3853
- Travellers Rest Plantation & Museum
- American Baptist College, T.L. Holcomb Library, 1800 Baptist World Center Drive, Nashville, TN 37207 615-687-6904
- Diocese of Nashville Archives, The Catholic Center, 2400 21st Avenue South, Nashville, TN 37212 615-383-6393
- Free Will Baptist Bible College, Welch Library. Free Will Baptist Historical Collection, 3606 West End Avenue, Nashville, TN 37205 615-383-1340
- Gospel Advocate Archives & Library, 1006 Elm Hill Pike, Nashville, TN 37210 615-254-8781
- Lifeway Christian Resources, E. C. Dargan Research Library, One LifeWay Plaza, Nashville, TN 37234 615-251-2751
- Tennessee Conference Commission on Archives and History, United Methodist Church, 520 Commerce Street #205, Nashville, TN 37203 615-263-0518
- Trevecca Nazarene University, Waggoner Library, Trevecca Archives, 333 Murfreesboro Road, Nashville, TN 37210 615-248-1214
- United Methodist Church, The Upper Room Devotional Library, 1908 Grand Avenue, PO Box 340004, Nashville, TN 37203 615-340-7204
- RAOGK Volunteers for Tennessee
- Davidson County, Tennessee Message Boards
- Davidson County, Tennessee Genealogy Forum read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Davidson County
- Genealogical "Fact Sheets" About Davidson County
Davidson County, Tennessee External Links
- Historical Newspapers from Tennessee (1795 - 1929 )
- Tennessee Newspaper List by County and City
- Davidson County, Tennessee Books - Amazon
- Tennessee Real Estate Assessment Data Property Search
- Davidson County Records on Microfilm - Order County Microfilm Inventories and Reels
- Early Davidson County Records Available on Interlibrary Loan
- Davidson Co., Tennessee - FindaGrave