Columbiana County, Ohio Genealogy Guide
|Other OH Resources|
|OH Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
OH Ancestor Records
OH Military Databases
OH Data Collections
OH Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Columbiana County, Ohio (Map It) was created on May 1, 1803 from Jefferson County . This county was named for the words Christopher Columbus, European explorer of the Americas . Learn More About State of Ohio History
Columbiana County is bordered by Mahoning County (north), Lawrence County, Pennsylvaina (northeast), Beaver County, Pennsylvaina (east), Hancock County, West Virginia (southeast), Jefferson County (south), Carroll County (southwest), Stark County (west) .. A Map of Columbiana County, Ohio contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Columbiana County Cities and Towns include Columbiana, East Liverpool, East Palestine, Salem, Hanoverton, Leetonia, Lisbon, Minerva, New Waterford, Rogers, Salineville, Summitville, Washingtonville, Wellsville. Other communities include East Rochester, Elkton, Homeworth, Kensington, Negley, North Georgetown, West Point, Winona . A Map of Columbiana County, Ohio contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Columbiana County Townships include Butler, Center, Elkrun, Fairfield, Franklin, Hanover, Knox, Liverpool, Madison, Middleton, Perry, Salem, St. Clair, Unity, Washington, Wayne, West, Yellow Creek.
Columbiana County, Ohio Courthouse Records
Columbiana County, OH Courthouse
Columbiana County, OH Township Map
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Columbiana county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Columbiana County Clerk of Probate Court has Marriage Records from 1803 and Probate Records from 1798. The County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts.
- Columbiana County Recorder has Land Records from 1803. The County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Columbiana County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas has Court Records from 1803. The County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- The Columbiana County Health Department has Birth & Death Records from 1908-Present. For birth and death records prior to Dec. 20, 1908, contact the Probate Court of this county.
Columbiana County, Ohio Census Records
- Learn More: State of Ohio Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1810 (destroyed), 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Columbiana County, Ohio Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Ohio Vital Records
- Birth Records: from 1908 to present
- Marriage Records: None. See County Probate Court.
- Death Records: from 1954 to present
- Divorce Records: None. See County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas.
- Locations: Ohio Office of Vital Statistics, Ohio Local Health Departments
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Columbiana County, Ohio Resources
- State of Ohio Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Ohio
- Columbiana County Chapter, OGS
- Columbiana County Historical Association, PO Box 221, Lisbon, OH 44432-0221
- East Liverpool Historical Society
- East Palestine Area Historical Society
- Elkton Historical Society Inc, PO Box 55, Elkton, OH 44415-0055; Phone: (330) 227-3523
- Hanover Township Historcial Society, PO Box 361, Hanoverton, OH 44423-0361; Phone: (330) 223-1264
- Leetonia-Salem Township Historical Society, 4337 Grafton Rd, Leetonia, OH 44431-8705; Phone: (330) 427-3007
- Columbiana County, Ohio Message Boards
- Columbiana County, Ohio Genealogy Forum
Columbiana County, Ohio External Links
- Columbiana Co., Ohio - FindaGrave
- History of Columbiana County, Ohio
- An historical sketch of the old village of New Lisbon, Ohio
- History of Hanover, Columbiana County, Ohio, 1804-1908
- Columbiana County, Ohio Links - Cyndi's List
- Columbiana Co. OHGenweb
- Columbiana County, Ohio Ancestry Database Collections
- Ohio Military Records
- Columbiana County, Ohio Directory 1891-92