Stark County, Ohio Genealogy GuideOH Birth, Death, Marriage,
Divorce & Death Records
OH Ancestor Records
OH Military Databases
OH Data Collections
OH Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Stark County, Ohio (Map It) was created on February 13, 1808 from Columbiana County and Muskingum County. This county was named for General John Stark (1728–1822) , a Revolutionary War officer; known as the "Hero of Bennington" for his exemplary service at the Battle of Bennington in 1777. Learn More About State of Ohio History
Stark County is bordered by Portage County (north), Mahoning County (northeast), Columbiana County (east), Carroll County (southeast), Tuscarawas County (south), Holmes County (southwest), Wayne County (west), Summit County (northwest) .. A Map of Stark County, Ohio contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Stark County Cities and Towns include Alliance, Canal Fulton, Canton, Louisville, Massillon, North Canton, Beach City, Brewster, East Canton, East Sparta, Hartville, Hills and Dales, Limaville, Magnolia, Meyers Lake, Minerva, Navarre, Waynesburg, Wilmot. Other communities include Maximo, Middlebranch, North Lawrence, Paris, Robertsville, Greentown, Perry Heights, Uniontown. A Map of Stark County, Ohio contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Stark County Townships include Bethlehem, Canton, Jackson, Lake, Lawrence, Lexington, Marlboro, Nimishillen, Osnaburg, Paris, Perry, Pike, Plain, Sandy, Sugar Creek, Tuscarawas, Washington.
Stark County, Ohio Courthouse Records
Stark County, OH Courthouse
Stark County, OH Township Map
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Stark county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Stark County Clerk of Probate Court has Marriage Records from 1809 and Probate Records from 1810. The County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts.
- Stark County Recorder has Land Records from 1809. The County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Stark County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas has Court Records from 1809. The County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- The Stark County Health Department has Birth & Death Records from 1908-Present. For birth and death records prior to Dec. 20, 1908, contact the Probate Court of this county.
Stark County, Ohio Census Records
- Learn More: State of Ohio Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1810 (destroyed), 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Stark County, Ohio Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Ohio Vital Records
- Birth Records: from 1908 to present
- Marriage Records: None. See County Probate Court.
- Death Records: from 1954 to present
- Divorce Records: None. See County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas.
- Locations: Ohio Office of Vital Statistics, Ohio Local Health Departments
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Stark County, Ohio Resources
- State of Ohio Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Ohio
- Stark County Chapter, OGS
- Alliance Genealogical Society
- Alliance Historical Society
- Brewster Historical Society
- Brewster-Sugarcreek Township Historical Society , 45 S Wabash, Brewster, OH 44613-1210; Phone: (330) 767-0045
- Canal Fulton Historic Preservation Commission
- Canton Preservation Society
- City of Massillon Historic Preservation Commission, 151 Lincoln Way E, Massillon, OH 44646-6615; Phone: (330) 830-1721
- Heritage Society of Canal Fulton, 116 S Canal St, Canal Fulton, OH 44614-1317; Phone: (330) 854-3388
- Jackson Township Historical Society , PO Box 35171, Canton, OH 44735-5171; Phone: (330) 830-8622;
- Lake Township Historical Society
- Louisville Area Historic Preservation Society, 523 E Main St, Louisville, OH 44641-1421; Phone: (330) 875-1328
- Louisville-Nimishillen Historical Society
- Magnolia Area Historical Society
- Marlboro Township Historical Society, 7344 Edison St, Hartville, OH 44632-9328; Phone: (330) 935-2862
- Minerva Area Historical Society
- Navarre Bethlehem Township Historical Society
- North Canton Heritage Society
- Ohio Society of Military History, 316 Lincoln Way E, Massillon, OH 44646-8402; Phone: (330) 832-5553
- Osnaburg Historical Society
- Pike Township Historical Society, PO Box 116, East Sparta, OH 44626-0116; Phone: (330) 866-2761
- Plain Township Historical Society
- Stark County Mennonite & Amish Historical Society, 1136 S Prospect Ave, Hartville, OH 44632-8707; Phone: (330) 877-9566
- Stark Preservation Alliance, 8581 W Wadora Cir NW, North Canton, OH 44720-5065
- Washington Township Hist Soc of Stark County, 5843 Beechwood Ave NE, Alliance, OH 44601-8192; Phone: (330) 821-9843;
- Stark County, Ohio Message Boards
- Stark County, Ohio Genealogy Forum
Stark County, Ohio External Links
- Historical Newspapers from Ohio (1802 - 1970)
- Stark County: Indexes to Notices in the Ohio Repository 1815-1899 & Obituaries in the Canton Repository 1900-2004
- Alliance Review Obituaries Index (Rodman Public Library)
- Evening Independent (Massillon, Ohio)
- Ohio, Stark County Coroner's Records, 1890-2002
- Ohio, Stark County Court Records, 1809-1917
- Ohio Repository, The (Canton, Ohio)
- The Massillon Independent (Massillon, Ohio)
- Stark County, Ohio Books - Amazon
- Stark County Probate Court Records Search
- Chris Lindegarde's Cemetery Transcriptions and Photos'
- Stark Co., Ohio - FindaGrave
- History of Stark County
- Souvenir views of Canton
- Stark County, Ohio Links - Cyndi's List
- Stark Co. OHGenweb
- Stark County Genealogy Queries
- Stark County, Ohio Ancestry Database Collections
- Ohio Military Records
- Canton, Ohio Directories, 1888-92
- Canton, Stark County, Ohio Directory, 1913