Mississippi County, Missouri Records
Mississippi County, Missouri (Map It) was created on February 14, 1845 from Scott County. The county was named for the Mississippi River, the second-longest river in the United States which forms Missouri's eastern border .
Mississippi County is bordered by Alexander County, Illinois (north), Ballard County, Kentucky (northeast), Carlisle County, Kentucky (east), Hickman County, Kentucky (southeast), Fulton County, Kentucky (south), New Madrid County (southwest), Scott County (northwest).
Mississippi County Cities and Towns include Anniston, Bird's Point, Bertrand, Charleston, Deventer, Dorena, East Prairie, Miner, Pinhook, Wilson City, Wolf Island, Wyatt.
A Map of Mississippi County, Missouri contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Mississippi County, Missouri Courthouse Records
Mississippi County, MO Courthouse
The Mississippi County Courthouse is located in Charleston, Missouri. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Mississippi county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.Courthouse reportedly burned in 1891, Record loss unknown. The Courthouse burned, Monday, Feb. 10, 1997. Extensive damage done to records. Joan T. Feezor of CA emailed me and stated "I just wanted to update the information on the MIssissippi County MO courthouse fire. While the courthouse was gutted and later demolished, 98% of county records were saved. The Office of Secretary of State, Local Records Program, spent over nine weeks pulling records from the courthouse site. The records were dried using a variety of techniques. Since I was an archivist with the Local Records Program and lived one mile from the courthouse, I was the supervising archivist who oversaw the project. Please inform genealogists and other researchers that the records still exist."
- Mississippi County Recorder of Deeds has Marriage Records from 1845 and Land Records from 1823.
- Mississippi County Circuit Court Clerk / Probate Court Clerk has Probate Records from 1845 and Court & Divorce Records from 1845.
- Mississippi County Clerk of the Court has Birth & Death Records from ?.
- Mississippi County Tax Assessor Office is responsible for appraising and assessing real estate property and person property for the purpose of taxation as well as transferring ownership of real estate, and keeping real estate maps up to date.
- Local Records Inventory Database, produced by the Missouri Local Records Preservation Program, is a compilation of inventories of local government records identified as having permanent or enduring value and housed primarily in county and municipal offices, but includes some libraries, museums, and historical and genealogical societies that maintain government records. Not all Missouri offices have been inventoried.
- Mississippi County Health Department has Birth Certificates since 1920 and Death Certificates since 1980
Mississippi County, Missouri Census Records
- Learn More: State of Missouri Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820
- State Population Schedules: 1844-1881
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Mississippi County, Missouri Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Missouri Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from January 1910 to present
- Marriage Records: from July 1948 to present
- Divorce Records: from July 1948 to present
- Locations: Missouri Office of Vital Statistics
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services, Bureau of Vital Records, Jefferson City, MO 65102, Telephone: 573-751-6387
Mississippi County, Missouri Resources
- RAOGK Volunteers for Missouri
- Mississippi County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 5, Charleston, MO 63834
- Mississippi County Historical Society
- Mississippi County, Missouri Message Boards
- Mississippi County, Missouri Genealogy Forum
Mississippi County, Missouri External Links
- Missouri Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Mississippi County, Missouri Books - Amazon
- Mississippi Co., Missouri - FindaGrave
- HISTORY OF MISSISSIPPI COUNTY - Come Experience Life in Small Town America
- Guide to Mississippi County and Municipal Records on Microfilm - Missouri State Archives
- Missouri Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Mississippi County, Missouri Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Missouri (1808 - 1922)
- Mississippi Co. MOGenweb
- Mississippi County, Missouri Ancestry Database Collections
- Mississippi County, Missouri Military Records