Alexander County, Illinois Genealogy Guide
|Other IL Resources|
| IL Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
IL Ancestor Records
IL Military Databases
IL Data Collections
IL Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Alexander County, Illinois (Map It) was created on March 4, 1819 from Union County (portions of present area was formerly included in Union County (1818–1819), Johnson County (1812–1818), Randolph County (1795–1812), St. Clair County (1790–1795) ). Alexander County was named for William M. Alexander, a settler and state representative in the Illinois General Assembly. Learn More About State of Illinois History
Alexander County is bordered by Union County (north), Ballard County, Kentucky (east), Pulaski County (east), Mississippi County, Missouri (south), Scott County, Missouri (west), Cape Girardeau County, Missouri (northwest)
Alexander County Cities, Towns & Villages include Cairo, East Cape Girardeau, McClure, Tamms, Thebes
Alexander County Precincts include Cache No. 1, Cache No. 2, Cairo, Elco, McClure, Miller, Olive Branch, Sandusky, Santa Fe, Tamms, Thebes, Unity. View the Alexander Federal Township Plats of Illinois from 1804-1891.
A Alexander County, Illinois General Highway Maps includes County, City and Township maps which contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Alexander County, Illinois Courthouse Records
Alexander County, IL Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Alexander county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Alexander County Clerk & Recorder of Deeds has Marriage Records from 1819, Birth & Death Records from 1877 and Land Records from 1818. The County Clerk & Recorder of Deeds maintains records and issues certificates of vital statistics (birth certificates, death certificates, and marriage certificates) for the entire County. The Recorder's duties are receiving, filing and maintaining all records related to real property in our county. These documents range from all types of conveyance deeds, mortgages, releases and assignments, property liens, as well as, assorted federal, state and local liens. The Recorder’s office is responsible for the recordation and storage of plats of subdivision, land surveys and monument records. Many other types of miscellaneous documents are recorded, such as; foreign birth certificates, foreign marriage licenses, and military discharge paperwork to name a few.
- Alexander County Clerk of the Circuit Court has Probate Records from 1819 and Court Records from 1821. The County Clerk of the Circuit Court, commonly known as the Circuit Clerk, is the keeper of the files and records of the Circuit Court. The Circuit Clerk's Office retains documents some of which include criminal law, chancery, support, probate, adoption, ect....
- Alexander County Treasurer's Office is responsible for the statutory duties required as County Treasurer and as Ex-Officio County Collector of Real Estate Property Taxes and Drainage District Taxes for the entire county.
- Local Government Records Database provides a listing of the local governmental records held by the Illinois Regional Archives Depository (IRAD) system
Alexander County, Illinois Census Records
- Learn More: State of Illinois Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: Substitutes Index, 1810-1890
- State Population Schedules: 1825-1865
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Alexander County, Illinois Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Illinois Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from January 1916 to present
- Marriage and Divorce Records: from January 1962 to present.
- Locations: Illinois Department of Public Health, Division of Vital Records, 925 East Ridgely Ave., Springfield, IL 62702-2737; (217) 782-6553
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Alexander County, Illinois Resources
- State of Illinois Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Illinois
- Cairo Public Library
- Southern Illinois University (SIU), Illinois Regional Archives Depository
- Alexander County, Illinois Message Boards
- Alexander County, Illinois Genealogy Forum
- Alexander County, Illinois Mailing lists
Alexander County, Illinois External Links
- Illinois Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Map of Alexander County and its civil and congressional townships
- Alexander County, Illinois Books - Amazon
- Alexander Co., Illinois - FindaGrave
- Illinois Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Fact Sheet for Alexander County - Illinois State Archives
- Madison County Illinois Genealogy and Research