White County, Tennessee Records
White County, Tennessee (Map It) was created on September 11, 1806 from Jackson County and Smith County. This White County was named in honor of John White, Revolutionary War soldier and the first European-American settler in the county
White County Cities and Towns include Doyle, Sparta .
A Map of White County, Tennessee contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
White County, Tennessee Courthouse Records
White County, TN Courthouse
The White County Courthouse is located in Sparta, Tennessee. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in White county or in the Tennessee State Library & Archives. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- White County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1806 and Probate Records from 1806.
- White County Register of Deeds has Land & Deed Records from 1801.
- White County Clerk of Circuit Court has Chancery Court Minutes from 1842, Circuit Court Minutes from 1859 and County Court Minutes 1806.
- White County Property Assessor has Tax Records from 1811-1818, 1821-1829, 1832-1841, 1847-1850, 1863, 1871-1889, 1891-1900 and are located at the Tennessee State Library and Archives. Tax lists can be used to locate families, document historic properties and study community history. Early tax lists generally include all white males over 21 and indicate whether they owned land or slaves.
- White County Health Department issues birth certificates and death certificates (deaths which occurred in that county within the past three years, and a few county health departments keep death records for longer periods of time).
White County, Tennessee Census Records
- Learn More: State of Tennessee Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1810 (part), 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
White County, Tennessee Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Tennessee Vital Records
- Birth Records: from January 1914 to present, also for Nashville since June 1881, for Knoxville since July 1881, and for Chattanooga since January 1882
- Marriage, Divorce and Death Records: from the past 50 years to present.
- Locations: Tennessee Office of Vital Records, Tennessee State Library and Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Tennessee Office of Vital Records, 1st Floor, Central Services Building, 421 Fifth Avenue, North, Nashville, TN 37243; PH: 615-741-1763
White County, Tennessee Resources
- State of Tennessee Archives and Societies
- White County Archives, Room 304, Courthouse, Sparta , TN 38583; Phone: (931) 837-4066
- White County Genealogical-historical Society
- White County Public Library, 144 S. Main Street, Sparta, TN 38583 931-836-3613
- RAOGK Volunteers for Tennessee
- White County, Tennessee Message Boards
- Genealogical "Fact Sheets" About White County
White County, Tennessee External Links
- Historical Newspapers from Tennessee (1795 - 1929 )
- Tennessee Newspaper List by County and City
- White County, Tennessee Books - Amazon
- Tennessee Real Estate Assessment Data Property Search
- White County Records on Microfilm - Order County Microfilm Inventories and Reels
- Early White County Records Available on Interlibrary Loan
- White Co., Tennessee - FindaGrave
- Pre-1796 History of East Tennessee
- Legends and Stories of White County
- White County History and Culture
- White County, Tennessee Links - Cyndi's List
- White Co. TNGenweb
- White County, Tennessee Ancestry Database Collections
- White Co. D.O.T. County Highway Map
- White County, Tennessee Military Records