Smith County, Tennessee Records
Smith County, Tennessee (Map It) was created on October 26, 1799 from Sumner County and Indian lands. This Smith County was named in honor of American Revolutionary War officer and U.S. Senator Daniel Smith (1748–1818).
Smith County Cities and Towns include Carthage, Gordonsville, South Carthage .
A Map of Smith County, Tennessee contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Smith County, Tennessee Courthouse Records
Smith County, TN Courthouse
The Smith County Courthouse is located in Carthage, Tennessee. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Smith county or in the Tennessee State Library & Archives. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Smith County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1838 and Probate Records from 1805.
- Smith County Register of Deeds has Land & Deed Records from 1799.
- Smith County Clerk of Circuit Court has Chancery Court Minutes from 1825, Circuit Court Minutes from 1811 and County Court Minutes 1799.
- Smith County Property Assessor has Tax Records from 1837, 1838, 1860, 1866-1869, 1872, 1873, 1876-1879, 1885 and are located at the Tennessee State Library and Archives. Tax lists can be used to locate families, document historic properties and study community history. Early tax lists generally include all white males over 21 and indicate whether they owned land or slaves.
- Smith County Health Department issues birth certificates and death certificates (deaths which occurred in that county within the past three years, and a few county health departments keep death records for longer periods of time).
Smith County, Tennessee Census Records
- Learn More: State of Tennessee Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1800 (part), 1810 (part), 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820
- State Territory Census: 1770-1790 Census of the Cumberland Settlements
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Smith County, Tennessee Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Tennessee Vital Records
- Birth Records: from January 1914 to present, also for Nashville since June 1881, for Knoxville since July 1881, and for Chattanooga since January 1882
- Marriage, Divorce and Death Records: from the past 50 years to present.
- Locations: Tennessee Office of Vital Records, Tennessee State Library and Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Tennessee Office of Vital Records, 1st Floor, Central Services Building, 421 Fifth Avenue, North, Nashville, TN 37243; PH: 615-741-1763
Smith County, Tennessee Resources
- State of Tennessee Archives and Societies
- Smith County Archives, P.O. Box 112, Carthage , TN 37030; Phone: (615) 735-0200
- Kingsport City Archives
- Smith County Historical And Genealogical Society
- Bristol Public Library, 701 Goode Street, Bristol, VA 24201 276-669-9444
- Smith County Public Library, 215 Main Street North, Carthage, TN 37030 615-735-1326
- RAOGK Volunteers for Tennessee
- Smith County, Tennessee Message Boards
- Genealogical "Fact Sheets" About Smith County
Smith County, Tennessee External Links
- Historical Newspapers from Tennessee (1795 - 1929 )
- Tennessee Newspaper List by County and City
- Smith County, Tennessee Books - Amazon
- Tennessee Real Estate Assessment Data Property Search
- Smith County Records on Microfilm - Order County Microfilm Inventories and Reels
- Early Smith County Records Available on Interlibrary Loan
- Smith Co., Tennessee - FindaGrave
- Smith County History and Culture
- Smith County, Tennessee Links - Cyndi's List
- Smith Co. TNGenweb
- Smith County, Tennessee Ancestry Database Collections
- Smith Co. D.O.T. County Highway Map
- Smith County, Tennessee Military Records