Dickson County, Tennessee Genealogy Guide
|Other TN Resources|
| TN Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
TN Ancestor Records
TN Military Databases
TN Data Collections
TN Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Dickson County, Tennessee (Map It) was created on October 25, 1803 from Montgomery County and Robertson County. This Dickson County was named in honor of U.S. Representative William Dickson (1770–1816). Learn More About State of Tennessee History
Dickson County Cities and Towns include Burns, Charlotte, Dickson, Slayden, Vanleer, White Bluff . A Map of Dickson County, Tennessee contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Dickson County, Tennessee Courthouse Records
Dickson County, TN Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Dickson county or in the Tennessee State Library & Archives. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered. There was a fire at the Dickson County courthouse in 1830, some records were destroyed.
- Dickson County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1817 and Probate Records from 1803. The County Clerk maintains Marriage & Divorce records. It also has jurisdiction over probate cases. Wills, administrations, and all other records pertaining to probate are recorded in the respective county clerk's office. If the will or administration was contested, the records of these actions may be filed in the circuit court or chancery court.
- Dickson County Register of Deeds has Land & Deed Records from 1804. The County Register of Deeds has land records beginning with county organization, land records are available from the register of deeds at the Sevier county courthouse. Land and property records include transfer of real estate or personal property, mortgages, leases, surveys, and entries.
- Dickson County Clerk of Circuit Court has Chancery Court Minutes from 1836, Circuit Court Minutes from 1810 and County Court Minutes 1804. The County Clerk of Circuit Court has jurisdiction over property disputes, and circuit courts oversee criminal cases, divorces, and adoptions. Early courts included courts of common pleas and quarter sessions.
- Dickson County Property Assessor has Tax Records from 1831-1836, 1839, 1841-1845, 1847-1856, 1858-1862, 1865-1871, 1880-1900 and are located at the Tennessee State Library and Archives. The County Property Assessor is responsible for the evaluation of all real property, the cadastral mapping of the county, valuation of all business personal property and maintaining ownership records. The property assessor prepares the tax rolls for the trustee and all the municipalities. Tax lists can be used to locate families, document historic properties and study community history. Early tax lists generally include all white males over 21 and indicate whether they owned land or slaves.
- Dickson County Health Department issues birth certificates and death certificates (deaths which occurred in that county within the past three years, and a few county health departments keep death records for longer periods of time).
Dickson County, Tennessee Census Records
- Learn More: State of Tennessee Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1810 (part), 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Dickson County, Tennessee Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Tennessee Vital Records
- Birth Records: from January 1914 to present, also for Nashville since June 1881, for Knoxville since July 1881, and for Chattanooga since January 1882
- Marriage, Divorce and Death Records: from the past 50 years to present.
- Locations: Tennessee Office of Vital Records, Tennessee State Library and Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Tennessee Office of Vital Records, 1st Floor, Central Services Building, 421 Fifth Avenue, North, Nashville, TN 37243; PH: 615-741-1763
Dickson County, Tennessee Resources
- State of Tennessee Archives and Societies
- Dickson County Archives, P.O. Box 155, Charlotte , TN 37036; Phone: (615) 789-7012
- Dickson County Historical & Genealogical Society
Dickson County Public Library, 206 Henslee Drive, Dickson, TN 37055 615-446-8293
- Dickson County Historian, 204 North Main Street, Dickson, Tennessee 37055; (615) 446-2359
- RAOGK Volunteers for Tennessee
- Dickson County, Tennessee Message Boards
- Dickson County, Tennessee Genealogy Forum read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Dickson County
- Genealogical "Fact Sheets" About Dickson County
Dickson County, Tennessee External Links
- Historical Newspapers from Tennessee (1795 - 1929 )
- Tennessee Newspaper List by County and City
- Dickson County, Tennessee Books - Amazon
- Tennessee Real Estate Assessment Data Property Search
- Dickson County Records on Microfilm - Order County Microfilm Inventories and Reels
- Early Dickson County Records Available on Interlibrary Loan
- Dickson Co., Tennessee - FindaGrave