Avery County, North Carolina Genealogy Guide
|Other NC Resources|
|NC Birth, Death, Marriage,
Divorce & Death Records
NC Ancestor Records
NC Military Databases
NC Data Collections
NC Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Avery County, North Carolina (Map It) was created on February 23, 1911 from Caldwell County, Mitchell County, and Watauga County. This county was named for Waightstill Avery (1741–1821), a soldier of the Revolution and Attorney General of North Carolina. Learn More About State of North Carolina History.
Avery County Cities and Towns include Banner Elk, Beech Mountain, Crossnore, Elk Park, Grandfather, Minneapolis, Newland, Seven Devils, Sugar Mountain. A Map of Avery County, North Carolina contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Avery County Townships include Linville, Ingalls, Hughes, Frank, Heaton, Carey's Flat, Altamont, Beech Mountain, Banner Elk, Cranberry, Elk Park, Plumtree, Roaring Creek, Pyatte, Newland No. 2, Newland No. 1, Montezuma, Pineola, Minneapolis. View a Map of Avery County Townships.
Avery County, North Carolina Courthouse Records
Avery County, NC Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Avery county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered. Also see the Avery County Records in the North Carolina State Archives.
- Avery County Register of Deeds has Birth Records from 1914, Marriage Records from 1911, Death Records from 1914 and Land Records from 1911. The Register of Deeds holds land and vital records if they have not been transferred to the state archives in Raleigh. Land records may include deeds, grants, plats, and other miscellaneous items. houses most birth and death records and marriage licenses.
- Avery County Clerk of Court has Probate Records from 1911, Court Records from 1911 and Divorce Records from call court clerk for details. The County Clerk of Court holds probate records and court records if they have not been transferred to the state archives in Raleigh. Probate records include not only wills, but also loose estates records. Court records may include apprentice bonds, bastardy bonds, and officials' or constables' bonds in addition to dockets, fee and account books, and court minutes and orders. They also have Divorce Records.
- Avery County Tax Assessor / Collector
- Avery Co. North Carolina County Health Department
Avery County, North Carolina Census Records
- Learn More: State of North Carolina Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: None
- State Population Schedules: None
- Native American Population Schedules: None
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: None
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: None
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: None
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: None
- Union Veterans Schedules: None
Avery County, North Carolina Vital Records
- Learn More: State of North Carolina Vital Records
- Birth Records: from October 1913 to present
- Marriage Records: from January 1962 to present
- Death Records: from January 1, 1930 to present
- Divorce Records: from January 1958 to present
- Locations: North Carolina Vital Records
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Death, Divorce and Marriage Certificate Applications.
- In Person: North Carolina Vital Records (Cooper Memorial Health Building), 225 N. McDowell St., Raleigh, NC 27603-1382; 919-733-3000