Warren County, New York Genealogy Guide
|Other NY Resources|
| NY Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
NY Ancestor Records
NY Military Databases
NY Data Collections
NY Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Warren County, New York (Map It) created on March 12, 1813 from Washington County. The county was named in honor of Joseph Warren (1741–1775), the early American patriot and American Revolutionary War general .
Warren County Cities and Towns include Bolton (town), Chester (town), Glens Falls North, Glens Falls (city), Hague (town), Horicon (town), Johnsburg (town), Lake George (town), Lake George (village), Lake Luzerne (town), Queensbury (town), Stony Creek (town), Thurman (town), Warrensburg (town), West Glens Falls.
Warren County, New York Courthouse Records
Warren County, NY Courthouse
The Warren County Courthouse is located in Queensbury, New York. Also contact local Town Clerks. They are responsible for vast amounts of local information from deeds, property transfers, and genealogical materials. Research on place and road names, the history of property transfers and much more are available through your Town Clerk. They are a tremendous resources. Learn More About State of New York Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Warren county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Warren County Clerk has Land Records from 1813, Court Records from 1813 and Naturalization Records. State court naturalization records remain in custody of the county clerks. Older court naturalization records have been transferred to the National Archives--Northeast Region. The County Clerk is the keeper of most civil and criminal trial court records for Supreme Court and County Court, naturalizations, marriages (1908–35), censuses (Some county clerks' offices hold duplicate copies of some of the State censuses taken periodically between 1825 and 1925 and copies of the federal census), as well as deeds and mortgages.
- Warren County Surrogate Court Clerk has Probate Records from 1813. The County Surrogate Court Clerk maintain records of wills, letters testamentary, letters of administration, orders and decrees, and appointments of guardians; and filed papers, including original wills, petitions for probate (gives date of death and lists next of kin), performance bonds, property inventories (seldom found after ca. 1900), administrator's or executor's accountings, etc. Surrogate's Courts create comprehensive indexes to records and files.
- Warren County Treasurer is responsible for the collection of taxes.
- Warren County Historian maintains archival holdings for virtually every facet of the county’s history. In New York State, every municipality (town, city, village, county) must have an appointed historian. Most of the towns have their own historians as well and each can be contacted. The County Historian may provide access to obituaries, vital records, church records, maps, and family files or journals. Some historians provide search services for their office records and others may refer you to local genealogists who research in the area.
Warren County, New York Census Records
- Learn More: State of New York Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820
- State Population Schedules: 1855, 1865, 1875, 1892, 1905, 1915, 1925
- Other State Census Schedules: Census of Inmates in Almshouses and Poorhouses, 1830-1920, Census Mortality Schedules, 1850-1880, Non-Population Schedules 1850-1880
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Warren County, New York Vital Records
- Learn More: State of New York Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from 1880 to present
- Marriage Records: from 1880 to present
- Divorce Records: from January 1963 to present. Earlier Records are in the County Clerk's Office.
- Locations: New York State Dept of Health, Vital Records Section
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate, Genealogy Applications.
- In Person: New York State Dept of Health, Vital Records Section, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12237; (518) 474-3077, (518) 474-3038 Information
Warren County, New York Resources
- State of New York Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for New York
- Warren County Records Storage Center and Archives
- Warren County Historical Society
- Northeastern New York Genealogical Society
- Central New York Genealogical Society
- Southern Adirondack Library System
- New York Genealogy Research Community
- Warren County, New York Message Boards
- Warren County, New York Genealogy Forum
Warren County, New York External Links
- Historical Newspapers from New York (1719 - 1992)
- Warren County, New York Books - Amazon
- Essex and Warren County cemetery records
- Warren Co., New York - FindaGrave
- A history of the town of Queensbury, in the state of New York
- History of Glens Falls, New York and its settlement
- Warren County : a history and guide
- A complete history of Lake George
- Warren County, New York Links - Cyndi's List
- Warren Co. NYGenweb
- Glen Falls, New York Directories, 1888, 1890, 1891-92
- Gazetteer and business directory of Saratoga County, N.Y. and Queensbury, Warren County, for 1871
- Warren County, New York Ancestry Database Collections
- Warren County, New York Military Records