Saratoga County, New York Records
Saratoga County is bordered by Warren County (north), Washington County (northeast), Rensselaer County (southeast), Albany County (southwest), Montgomery County (west), Fulton County (west), Schenectady County (west), Hamilton County (northwest).
Saratoga County Cities and Towns include Mechanicville, Saratoga Springs, Ballston, Charlton, Clifton Park, Corinth, Day, Edinburg, Galway, Greenfield, Hadley, Halfmoon, Malta, Milton, Moreau, Northumberland, Providence, Saratoga, Stillwater, Waterford, Wilton. Villages include Ballston Spa, Corinth, Galway, Round Lake, Schuylerville, South Glens Falls, Stillwater, Victory, Waterford. Hamlets include Ballston Lake, Burnt Hills, Country Knolls, Crescent, Gansevoort, Rexford.
Saratoga County, New York Courthouse Records
Saratoga County, NY Courthouse
The Saratoga County Courthouse is located in Ballston Spa, New York. Also contact local Town Clerks. They are responsible for vast amounts of local information from deeds, property transfers, and genealogical materials. Research on place and road names, the history of property transfers and much more are available through your Town Clerk. They are a tremendous resources. Learn More About State of New York Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Saratoga county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Saratoga County Clerk has Land Records from 1791, Court Records from 1791 and Naturalization Records. State court naturalization records remain in custody of the county clerks. Older court naturalization records have been transferred to the National Archives--Northeast Region. The County Clerk is the keeper of most civil and criminal trial court records for Supreme Court and County Court, naturalizations, marriages (1908–35), censuses (Some county clerks' offices hold duplicate copies of some of the State censuses taken periodically between 1825 and 1925 and copies of the federal census), as well as deeds and mortgages.
- Saratoga County Surrogate Court Clerk has Probate Records from 1791. The County Surrogate Court Clerk maintain records of wills, letters testamentary, letters of administration, orders and decrees, and appointments of guardians; and filed papers, including original wills, petitions for probate (gives date of death and lists next of kin), performance bonds, property inventories (seldom found after ca. 1900), administrator's or executor's accountings, etc. Surrogate's Courts create comprehensive indexes to records and files.
- Saratoga County Treasurer is responsible for the collection of taxes.
- Saratoga County Historian maintains archival holdings for virtually every facet of the county’s history. In New York State, every municipality (town, city, village, county) must have an appointed historian. Most of the towns have their own historians as well and each can be contacted. The County Historian may provide access to obituaries, vital records, church records, maps, and family files or journals. Some historians provide search services for their office records and others may refer you to local genealogists who research in the area.
Saratoga County, New York Census Records
- Learn More: State of New York Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820
- State Population Schedules: 1855, 1865, 1875, 1892, 1905, 1915, 1925
- Other State Census Schedules: Census of Inmates in Almshouses and Poorhouses, 1830-1920, Census Mortality Schedules, 1850-1880, Non-Population Schedules 1850-1880
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Saratoga County, New York Vital Records
- Learn More: State of New York Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from 1880 to present
- Marriage Records: from 1880 to present
- Divorce Records: from January 1963 to present. Earlier Records are in the County Clerk's Office.
- Locations: New York State Dept of Health, Vital Records Section
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate, Genealogy Applications.
- In Person: New York State Dept of Health, Vital Records Section, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12237; (518) 474-3077, (518) 474-3038 Information
Saratoga County, New York Resources
- State of New York Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for New York
- Saratoga County Historical Society
- Capital District Genealogical Society
- Central New York Genealogical Society
- Brookside Museum
- New York Genealogy Research Community
- Saratoga County, New York Message Boards
- Saratoga County, New York Genealogy Forum
Saratoga County, New York External Links
- Historical Newspapers from New York (1719 - 1992)
- Saratoga County, New York Books - Amazon
- Index to marriage and death notices in the Saratoga Sentinel
- Saratoga County, New York Wills, 1796-1805
- Saratoga County, New York, Cemetery Records, Volume I
- Sweetman and West Charlton Cemeteries
- Town of Half Moon cemeteries
- Town of Clifton Park cemetery epitaphs
- Saratoga Co., New York - FindaGrave
- Records of Christ Church (Episcopal) : at Ballston Spa, New York.
- Records of Methodist Episcopal Church at Schuylerville, Saratoga County : 1851-1884
- History of Saratoga County, New York
- The story of old Saratoga: the Burgoyne campaign, to which is added New York's share in the revolution
- Saratoga County, New York Links - Cyndi's List
- Saratoga Co. NYGenweb
- Saratoga Springs, New York Directories, 1888-92
- Ballston Spa, New York Directory, 1924
- Gazetteer and business directory of Saratoga County, N.Y. and Queensbury, Warren County, for 1871
- Saratoga County, New York Ancestry Database Collections
- The Burgoyne campaign
- Saratoga County, New York Military Records