Traverse County, Minnesota Records
Traverse County, Minnesota (Map It) was created on February 20, 1862 (Organized in 1881) from Pierce County & Unorganized Territory. The county was named for the Lake Traverse, a translation of the Dakota name Mdehdakinyan, which means lake lying crosswise (compared to Big Stone and Lac qui Parle Lakes).
Traverse County is bordered by Wilkin County (north), Grant County (northeast), Stevens County (southeast), Big Stone County (south), Roberts County, South Dakota (southwest), Richland County, North Dakota (northwest).
Traverse County Cities and Towns include Browns Valley, Dumont, Tintah, Wheaton.
Traverse County Townships include Arthur, Clifton, Croke, Dollymount, Folsom, Lake Valley, Leonardsville, Monson, Parnell, Redpath, Tara, Taylor, Tintah, Walls, Windsor Townships.
A Map of Traverse County, Minnesota contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Traverse County, Minnesota Courthouse Records
Traverse County, MN Courthouse
The Traverse County Courthouse is located in Wheaton, Minnesota. At some time Traverse County was attached to Chippewa County, Stearns County, Douglas County and Pope County for county and or judicial purposes. Some early records may be found there. Learn More About State of Minnesota Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Traverse county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Traverse County Recorder has Birth / Death Records from 1881, Marriage Records from 1881 and Land Records from 1872. The County Recorder is responsible for all the real estate records for properties located in the County. Permanent records of deeds, mortgages and other various real estate records are recorded/filed in this office. As Local Registrar, the office protects and issues certified copies of Birth and Death records, Marriage Certificates & Military Discharge Records.
- Traverse County Court Administrator has Probate Records from 1880 and Court Records from 1881. The County Court Administrator maintains court files for Civil, Criminal, Traffic, Probate, Conciliation, Juvenile, Tax and Family Court matters.
- Traverse County Treasurers Office is responsible for keeping a complete accounting of all monies collected and expended by all the county departments. This includes the investing of available funds and accurately distributing the interest received. The department is also responsible for the collection of taxes and distribution to the various taxing entities within the County.
Traverse County, Minnesota Census Records
- Learn More: State of Minnesota Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- State Census Reconstructed Records: 1835-1890
- State Population Schedules: Territorial and State Censuses, 1849-1905
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Traverse County, Minnesota Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Minnesota Vital Records
- Birth Records: from January 1900 to present
- Marriage Records: None Check with the Local County Registrar
- Divorce Records: None Check with the Local County Registrar
- Death Records: from January 1908 to present
- Locations: Minnesota Office of Vital Statistics, P.O. Box 64882, St. Paul, MN 55164; (651) 201-5970
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Death Certificates Applications.
Traverse County, Minnesota Resources
- State of Minnesota Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Minnesota
- Traverse County Historical Society, 1201 Broadway, Wheaton, MN 56296
- West Central Minnesota Historical Center
- Traverse County, Minnesota Message Boards
- Traverse County, Minnesota Genealogy Forum
Traverse County, Minnesota External Links
- Minnesota Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Traverse County, Minnesota Books - Amazon
- Traverse Co., Minnesota - FindaGrave
- Minnesota Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Traverse County, Minnesota Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Minnesota (1849 - 1922)
- Traverse Co. MNGenweb
- Traverse County, Minnesota Ancestry Database Collections
- Traverse County, Minnesota Military Records