Big Stone County, Minnesota Records
Big Stone County, Minnesota (Map It) was created on February 20, 1862 (Organized in 1881) from Pierce County. The county was named in honor of Big Stone Lake. Big Stone is the translation of the Dakota name for the lake, which alludes to large outcropping of granite near the foot of the lake.
Big Stone County is bordered by Traverse County (north), Stevens County (northeast), Swift County (southeast), Lac qui Parle County (southeast), Grant County, South Dakota (southwest), Roberts County, South Dakota (northwest).
Big Stone County Cities and Towns include Barry, Beardsley, Clinton, Correll, Foster, Graceville, Johnson, Odessa, Ortonville.
Big Stone County Townships include Akron, Almond, Artichoke, Big Stone, Browns Valley, Foster, Graceville, Malta, Moonshine, Odessa, Ortonville, Otrey, Prior, Toqua Townships.
A Map of Big Stone County, Minnesota contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Big Stone County, Minnesota Courthouse Records
Big Stone County, MN Courthouse
The Big Stone County Courthouse is located in Ortonville, Minnesota. The building that served as courthouse was destroyed by fire in 1885. Learn More About State of Minnesota Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Big Stone county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk. At some time Big Stone County was attached to Renville County and Stevens County for county and or judicial purposes. Some early records may be found there.
- Big Stone County Recorder has Birth / Death Records from 1881, Marriage Records from 1881 and Land Records from 1873. The County Recorder is responsible for all the real estate records for properties located in the County. Permanent records of deeds, mortgages and other various real estate records are recorded/filed in this office. As Local Registrar, the office protects and issues certified copies of Birth and Death records, Marriage Certificates & Military Discharge Records.
- Big Stone County Court Administrator has Probate Records from 1881 and Court Records from 1881. The County Court Administrator maintains court files for Civil, Criminal, Traffic, Probate, Conciliation, Juvenile, Tax and Family Court matters.
- Big Stone County Treasurers Office is responsible for keeping a complete accounting of all monies collected and expended by all the county departments. This includes the investing of available funds and accurately distributing the interest received. The department is also responsible for the collection of taxes and distribution to the various taxing entities within the County.
Big Stone County, Minnesota Census Records
- Learn More: State of Minnesota Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- State Census Reconstructed Records: 1835-1890
- State Population Schedules: Territorial and State Censuses, 1849-1905
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Big Stone County, Minnesota Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Minnesota Vital Records
- Birth Records: from January 1900 to present
- Marriage Records: None Check with the Local County Registrar
- Divorce Records: None Check with the Local County Registrar
- Death Records: from January 1908 to present
- Locations: Minnesota Office of Vital Statistics, P.O. Box 64882, St. Paul, MN 55164; (651) 201-5970
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Death Certificates Applications.
Big Stone County, Minnesota Resources
- State of Minnesota Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Minnesota
- Big Stone County Historical Society
- West Central Minnesota Historical Center
- Big Stone County, Minnesota Message Boards
- Big Stone County, Minnesota Genealogy Forum
Big Stone County, Minnesota External Links
- Minnesota Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Big Stone County, Minnesota Books - Amazon
- Big Stone Co., Minnesota - FindaGrave
- Minnesota Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Big Stone County, Minnesota Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Minnesota (1849 - 1922)
- Big Stone Co. MNGenweb
- Big Stone County, Minnesota Ancestry Database Collections
- Big Stone County, Minnesota Military Records