Stevens County, Minnesota Records
Stevens County, Minnesota (Map It) was created on February 20, 1862 (Organized in 1871) from Pierce County & Unorganized Territory. The county was named in honor of Isaac Ingalls Stevens (1818-1862). Directed the northern surveys conducted for the construction of a Pacific railroad; governor of Washington Territory, 1853-57; delegate to Congress from Washington Territory, 1857-61; general in Civil War, killed in the battle of Chantilly, Virginia.
Stevens County Cities and Towns include Alberta, Chokio, Donnelly, Hancock, Morris.
Stevens County Townships include Baker, Darnen, Donnelly, Eldorado, Everglade, Framnas, Hodges, Horton, Moore, Morris, Pepperton, Rendsville, Scott, Stevens, Swan Lake, Synnes Townships.
A Map of Stevens County, Minnesota contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Stevens County, Minnesota Courthouse Records
Stevens County, MN Courthouse
The Stevens County Courthouse is located in Morris, Minnesota. At some time Stevens County was attached to Stearns County, Douglas County and Pope County for county and or judicial purposes. Some early records may be found there. Learn More About State of Minnesota Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Stevens county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Stevens County Recorder has Birth / Death Records from 1872, Marriage Records from 1869 and Land Records from 1871. The County Recorder is responsible for all the real estate records for properties located in the County. Permanent records of deeds, mortgages and other various real estate records are recorded/filed in this office. As Local Registrar, the office protects and issues certified copies of Birth and Death records, Marriage Certificates & Military Discharge Records.
- Stevens County Court Administrator has Probate Records from 1875 and Court Records from 1870. The County Court Administrator maintains court files for Civil, Criminal, Traffic, Probate, Conciliation, Juvenile, Tax and Family Court matters.
- Stevens County Treasurers Office is responsible for keeping a complete accounting of all monies collected and expended by all the county departments. This includes the investing of available funds and accurately distributing the interest received. The department is also responsible for the collection of taxes and distribution to the various taxing entities within the County.
Stevens County, Minnesota Census Records
- Learn More: State of Minnesota Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- State Census Reconstructed Records: 1835-1890
- State Population Schedules: Territorial and State Censuses, 1849-1905
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Stevens County, Minnesota Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Minnesota Vital Records
- Birth Records: from January 1900 to present
- Marriage Records: None Check with the Local County Registrar
- Divorce Records: None Check with the Local County Registrar
- Death Records: from January 1908 to present
- Locations: Minnesota Office of Vital Statistics, P.O. Box 64882, St. Paul, MN 55164; (651) 201-5970
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Death Certificates Applications.
Stevens County, Minnesota Resources
- State of Minnesota Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Minnesota
- Stevens County Historical Society
- Stevens County Genealogical Society, c/o Morris Public Library, 102 E 6th St, Morris MN 56267
- West Central Minnesota Historical Center
- Stevens County, Minnesota Message Boards
- Stevens County, Minnesota Genealogy Forum
Stevens County, Minnesota External Links
- Minnesota Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Stevens County, Minnesota Books - Amazon
- Stevens Co., Minnesota - FindaGrave
- Minnesota Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Stevens County, Minnesota Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Minnesota (1849 - 1922)
- Stevens Co. MNGenweb
- Stevens County, Minnesota Ancestry Database Collections
- Stevens County, Minnesota Military Records