Marshall County, Minnesota Genealogy Guide
|Other MN Resources|
| MN Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
MN Ancestor Records
MN Military Databases
MN Data Collections
MN Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Marshall County, Minnesota (Map It) was created on February 25, 1879 (Organized in 1881) from Kittson County. The county was named in honor of William Rainey Marshall (1825-1896), governor of Minnesota, 1866-70 and general in 7th Minnesota Regiment during the Civil War. Learn More About State of Minnesota History
Marshall County is bordered by Kittson County (north), Roseau County (north), Beltrami County (east), Pennington County (south), Polk County (south), Grand Forks County, North Dakota (southwest), Walsh County, North Dakota (west), Pembina County, North Dakota (northwest).
Marshall County Cities and Towns include Alvarado, Argyle, Grygla, Holt, Middle River, Newfolden, Oslo, Stephen, Strandquist, Viking, Warren.
Marshall County Townships include Agder, Alma, Augsburg, Big Woods, Bloomer, Boxville, Cedar, Como, Comstock, Donnelly, Eagle Point, East Park, East Valley, Eckvoll, Espelie, Excel, Foldahl, Fork, Grand Plain, Holt, Huntly, Lincoln, Linsell, Marsh Grove, McCrea, Middle River, Moose River, Moylan, Nelson Park, New Folden, New Maine, New Solum, Oak Park, Parker, Rollis, Sinnott, Spruce Valley, Tamarac, Thief Lake, Valley, Vega, Veldt, Viking, Wanger, Warrenton, West Valley, Whiteford, Wright Townships.
A Map of Marshall County, Minnesota contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Marshall County, Minnesota Courthouse Records
Marshall County, MN Courthouse
The Marshall County Courthouse is located in Warren, Minnesota. At some time Marshall County was attached to Polk County for county and or judicial purposes. Some early records may be found there. Learn More About State of Minnesota Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Marshall county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Marshall County Recorder has Birth / Death Records from 1884, Marriage Records from 1881 and Land Records from ?. The County Recorder is responsible for all the real estate records for properties located in the County. Permanent records of deeds, mortgages and other various real estate records are recorded/filed in this office. As Local Registrar, the office protects and issues certified copies of Birth and Death records, Marriage Certificates & Military Discharge Records.
- Marshall County Court Administrator has Probate Records from ? and Court Records from 1882. The County Court Administrator maintains court files for Civil, Criminal, Traffic, Probate, Conciliation, Juvenile, Tax and Family Court matters.
- Marshall County Treasurers Office is responsible for keeping a complete accounting of all monies collected and expended by all the county departments. This includes the investing of available funds and accurately distributing the interest received. The department is also responsible for the collection of taxes and distribution to the various taxing entities within the County.
Marshall County, Minnesota Census Records
- Learn More: State of Minnesota Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- State Census Reconstructed Records: 1835-1890
- State Population Schedules: Territorial and State Censuses, 1849-1905
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Marshall County, Minnesota Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Minnesota Vital Records
- Birth Records: from January 1900 to present
- Marriage Records: None Check with the Local County Registrar
- Divorce Records: None Check with the Local County Registrar
- Death Records: from January 1908 to present
- Locations: Minnesota Office of Vital Statistics, P.O. Box 64882, St. Paul, MN 55164; (651) 201-5970
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Death Certificates Applications.
Marshall County, Minnesota Resources
- State of Minnesota Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Minnesota
- Marshall County Historical Society, PO Box 103, 808 East Johnson Ave, Warren MN 56762-0103; Phone: 218 745-4803
- Argyle Historical Society
- Red River Valley Genealogical Society
- Northwest Minnesota Historical Center
- Marshall County, Minnesota Message Boards
- Marshall County, Minnesota Genealogy Forum