Dearborn County, Indiana Genealogy Guide
|Other IL Resources|
| IL Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
IL Ancestor Records
IL Military Databases
IL Data Collections
IL Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Dearborn County Cities and Towns include Aurora, Bright, Dillsboro, Greendale, Hidden Valley, Lawrenceburg, Moores Hill, Saint Leon, West Harrison.
Dearborn County Townships include Caesar Creek, Center, Clay, Harrison, Hogan, Jackson, Kelso, Lawrenceburg, Logan, Manchester, Miller, Sparta, Washington, York. See Map of Dearborn County Townships.
Dearborn County, Indiana Courthouse Records
Dearborn County, IN Courthouse
The Dearborn County Courthouse is located in Lawrenceburg, Indiana. Courthouse destroyed by Fire in Mar. 1826, Most records lost--some early marriage and will records exist. Learn More About State of Indiana Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Dearborn county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Dearborn County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1806, Probate Records from 1824 and Court Records from 1824. The County Clerk responsiblities include administering Court Records of all Court Cases, prepares the Court's permanent historical record, performs marriage ceremonies, process marriage applications and issue marriage licenses, processes and distributes documents for court cases, and keeps a record of all wills and matters of trust in probate proceedings.
- Dearborn County Recorder has Land Records from 1821. The County Recorder maintains, preserves and Records Deeds, Mortgages, Assignments, Releases, Powers of Attorney, Real Estate Contracts, Annexations, Trustee Elections, Affidavits, Final Decrees, Surveys, Federal Tax Liens, Mechanics Liens, Military Discharges, Articles of Incorporation, Cemetery Deeds, Bonds, Plats, Condominiums, Firms Doing Business Under Assumed Names, Delinquent Sewer Liens, and Miscellaneous Instruments.
- Dearborn County Treasurer's Office is responsible for collecting taxes. The treasurer also receives distributions of local income and other taxes that are collected by the state such as real estate tax, personal property tax, mobile home tax, state assessed tax, and the following miscellaneous taxes: auto excise tax, inheritance tax, and innkeeper's tax.
- Dearborn County Department of Health has Birth & Death Records from 1882. The County Department of Health maintains and provides Certified Birth and Death Records.
Dearborn County, Indiana Census Records
- Learn More: State of Indiana Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820
- State Population Schedules: None
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Dearborn County, Indiana Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Indiana Vital Records
- Birth Records: from October 1907 to present.
- Marriage Records: from 1958 to present.
- Death Records: from January 1900 to present.
- Divorce Records: None. See the County Clerk.
- Locations: Indiana State Department of Health, 2 North Meridian Street, Indianapolis, IN 46204; PH: (317) 233-1325
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Dearborn County, Indiana Resources
- State of Indiana Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Indiana
- Dearborn County Historian, Chris B. McHenry, 14684 Wilson Creek Road, Lawrenceburg, IN 47025-2913; Home Phone: (812) 926-2006
- Carnegie Hall Museum
- Dearborn County Historical Society
- Dearborn County, Indiana Message Boards
- Dearborn County, Indiana Genealogy Forum
- Dearborn County, Indiana Mailing lists