Gadsden County, Florida Genealogy Guide
|Other FL Resources|
| FL Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
FL Ancestor Records
FL Military Databases
FL Data Collections
FL Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Gadsden County, Florida (Map It) was created on June 24, 1823 from Jackson County. Gadsden County was named for James Gadsden (1788–1858), American diplomat and namesake of the Gadsden Purchase. Learn More About State of Florida History
Gadsden County is bordered by Decatur County, Georgia (north), Seminole County, Georgia (north), Grady County, Georgia (northeast), Leon County (east), Liberty County (southwest), Calhoun County (southwest), Jackson County (northwest).
Gadsden County Cities and Towns include Chattahoochee, Gretna, Midway, Quincy, Greensboro, Havana.
A Map of Gadsden County, Florida contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Gadsden Co. Historical Events:
- This county originally included all land between the Suwannee and Apalachicola Rivers, besides much land west of the Apalachicola.
- The largest Fuller's Earth mine in the world is in this county.
- Spaniards erect fort of Santa Cruz de Sabacola on or near present site of Chattahoochee about 1690. This place had a very brief existence.
- Tobacco production began in 1830.
- U. S. arsenal now one of Florida State Hospital buildings completed in 1838.
Gadsden County, Florida Courthouse Records
Gadsden County, FL Courthouse
The Gadsden County Courthouse is located in Quincy, Florida. Courthouse burned in 1849, supposedly an act of arson by a Forbes family slave. Learn More About State of Florida Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Gadsden county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Gadsden County Clerk of the Circuit Court / County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1849, Land Records from 1849, Probate Records from 1837 and Court Records from ?. The County Clerk of the Circuit Court / County Clerk is custodian of all records of all predecessor courts, whether justice of the peace, city, county, probate, civil, or criminal.
- Gadsden County Tax Collector collects all real estate taxes including postponed and delinquent, all county revenues in addition to the research and issue tax deed applications. Our department is the holder of tax records and assessed values.
- Gadsden County Health Department has copies of Birth & Death certificates. Also has computer access from 1917 to present for birth records for the entire state as well as births that occurred in this county.
Gadsden County, Florida Census Records
- Learn More: State of Florida Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1830 (Florida Territory), 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: Compiled Census and Census Substitutes Index, 1820-1890
- State Population Schedules: 1867-1945, 1885
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Gadsden County, Florida Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Florida Vital Records
- Birth Records: from January 1917 to present.
- Marriage and Divorce Records: from June 6, 1927 to present.
- Death Records: from January 1917 to present.
- Locations: Department of Health, Bureau of Vital Statistics, P.O. Box 210, 1217 Pearl Street (Zip 32202), Jacksonville, FL 32231-0042; PH (904) 359-6900 Ext. 1029.
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Gadsden County, Florida Resources
- State of Florida Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Florida
- Gadsden County Historical Society
- West Gadsden Historical Society
- Gadsden County, Florida Message Boards
- Gadsden County, Florida Genealogy Forum
- Gadsden County, Florida Mailing lists