Dodge County, Wisconsin Genealogy Guide
|Other WI Resources|
| WI Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
WI Ancestor Records
WI Military Databases
WI Data Collections
WI Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Dodge County, Wisconsin (Map It) was created on December 7, 1836 from Brown County and Milwaukee County. The county was named in honor of Henry Dodge (1782-1867), Territorial Governor of Wisconsin 1848-1857. Learn More About State of Wisconsin History
Dodge County is bordered by Fond du Lac County (northeast), Washington County (east), Waukesha County (southeast), Jefferson County (south), Dane County (southwest), Columbia County (west), Green Lake County (northwest).
Dodge County Cities, Towns and Villiages include Beaver Dam, Columbus, Fox Lake, Hartford, Horicon, Juneau, Mayville, Waupun, Ashippun, Beaver Dam, Burnett, Calamus, Chester, Clyman, Elba, Emmet, Fox Lake, Herman, Hubbard, Hustisford, Lebanon, Leroy, Lomira, Lowell, Oak Grove, Portland, Rubicon, Shields, Theresa, Trenton, Watertown, Westford, Williamstown, Brownsville, Clyman, Hustisford, Iron Ridge, Kekoskee, Lomira, Lowell, Neosho, Randolph, Reeseville, Theresa.
A Map of Dodge County, Wisconsin contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Dodge County, Wisconsin Courthouse Records
Dodge County, WI Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
It has been estimated that less than 50 percent of the vital records, for example, were prepared and submitted for permanent filing prior to 1907. Land deeds, probate, and court records generally begin in Wisconsin with the organization of the county. Prior to that date, check the County or Counties it was created from. Some counties formed from other counties transcribed their portion of property deeds to be kept with the new county deed records. Dodge County was attached to Milwaukee County for county and judicial purposes for 1836–40. Some early records may be found there.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Dodge county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered. A fire in 1877 destroyed birth, marriage, and death records from before that date, though the indexes still refer to the records.
- Dodge County Register of Deeds has Birth Records from 1870, Marriage Records from 1843, Death Records from 1852 and Land Records from 1877. The purpose of the Register of Deeds is to provide official record keeping for Records or files land record documents authorized by law, such as deeds, mortgages, satisfactions, certified survey maps, plats and Federal Tax liens. Files and indexes Birth, Death and Marriage records, Military Discharges, and issues certified copies upon request.
- Dodge County Probate Office has Probate Records from 1844. The Probate Office has the responsibility to maintain and update files regarding probate of estates, guardianships, protective placements, adoptions and mental commitments. This is a statutory office with the position of Register in Probate filled by judicial appointment.
- Dodge County Clerk of Court Office has Court Records from 1844. The Clerk of Court Office is required to maintain a record of all documents filed with the courts, keep a record of all court proceedings, and collect various fines and forfeitures ordered by the court and specified by statute.
- Dodge County Treasurers Office collects all real estate taxes including postponed and delinquent, all county revenues in addition to the research and issue tax deed applications. Our department is the holder of tax records and assessed values.
Dodge County, Wisconsin Census Records
- Learn More: State of Wisconsin Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- State Population Schedules: 1836, 1838, 1842, 1846, 1847, 1855, 1865, 1875, 1885, 1895, 1905
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Dodge County, Wisconsin Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Wisconsin Vital Records
- Birth, Marriage,Divorce and Death Records: from October 1, 1907. State Office has scattered records earlier than 1857 and records before 1907, are very incomplete.
- Locations: Wisconsin Office of Vital Statistics, Wisconsin State Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Wisconsin Vital Records Office, 1 West Wilson Street, Room 160, Madison, WI 53703
Dodge County, Wisconsin Resources
- Dodge County Historical Society
- Dodge/ Jefferson County Genealogical Society
- Horicon Historical Society
- Hustisford Historical Society, 119 S Ridge St, Box 111, Hustisford, WI 53034; Phone: 920-349-3369
- Mayville Historical Society
- Theresa Historical Society, PO Box 284, Theresa, WI 53091-0284; Phone: 920-488-2018
- Waupun Historical Society
- Area Research Center - University of Wisconsin - Oshkosh
- Dodge County, Wisconsin Message Boards
- Dodge County, Wisconsin Genealogy Forum
Dodge County, Wisconsin External Links
- Historical Newspapers from Wisconsin (1837 - 1992)
- Watertown Chronicle (Watertown, Wisconsin)
- Democratic State Register (Watertown, Wisconsin)
- Horicon Argus (Horicon, Wisconsin)
- The Hustisford News (Hustisford, Wisconsin)
- Rock River Pilot (Watertown, Wisconsin)
- Fox Lake Representative (Fox Lake, Wisconsin)
- Prison Press (Waupun, Wisconsin)
- Dodge County, Wisconsin Books - Amazon
- Dodge Co., Wisconsin - FindaGrave
- Dodge County, Wisconsin, past and present
- Dodge County, Wisconsin Links - Cyndi's List