Wood County, West Virginia Records
Wood County is bordered by Washington County, Ohio (north), Pleasants County (northeast), Ritchie County (east), Wirt County (southeast), Jackson County (south), Meigs County, Ohio (southwest), Athens County, Ohio (west). A Map of Wood County, West Virginia contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Wood County Cities and Towns include Belleville, Boaz, Davisville, Fort Neal, Lubeck, Mineral Wells, New England, North Hills, Parkersburg, Rockport, Vienna, Walker, Washington, Waverly, Williamstown
Wood County, West Virginia Courthouse Records
Wood County, WV Courthouse
The Wood County Courthouse is located in Parkersburg, West Virginia. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Wood county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk. Until 1863 West Virginia was part of Virginia, See Virginia State Records for Info and links for years prior to 1863.
- Wood County Clerk has Birth / Death Records from 1853, Marriage Records from 1800, Land Records from 1798 and Probate Records from 1800.
- Wood County Clerk of Circuit Court has Court Records from 1798.
Wood County, West Virginia Census Records
- Learn More: State of West Virginia Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1800 (destroyed), 1810 (fragmented), 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820, Virginia, Compiled Census and Census Substitutes Index, 1607-1890
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Wood County, West Virginia Vital Records
- Learn More: State of West Virginia Vital Records
- Birth & Death Records: from January 1917 to present
- Marriage Records: from 1921 to present.
- Divorce Records: from 1968 to present
- Locations: West Virginia Office of Vital Statistics
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Vital Registration, Division of Health, 350 Capitol St, Rm 165, Charleston, WV 25301-3701; (304) 558-2931; Info: (304) 558-2931
Wood County, West Virginia Resources
- Parkersburg and Wood County Public Library
- Wood County Historical and Preservation Society, P.O. Box 565, Parkersburg, WV 26102; (304) 295-9777
- Wood County, West Virginia Message Boards
- Wood County, West Virginia Genealogy Forum
Wood County, West Virginia External Links
- Historical Newspapers from West Virginia (1808 - 1904)
- Wood County, West Virginia Books - Amazon
- The Grave Creek inscribed stone
- Wood Co., West Virginia - FindaGrave
- Wood County Encyclopedia
- Wood County, West Virginia Links - Cyndi's List
- Wood Co. WVGenweb
- Wood County, West Virginia Ancestry Database Collections
- Wood County, West Virginia Military Records