Columbia County, Washington Genealogy Guide
|Other WA Resources|
|WA Birth Records|
WA Marriage Records
WA Divorce Records
WA Death Records
WA Ancestor Records
WA Military Databases
WA Data Collections
WA Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Columbia County, Washington (Map It) was created on November 11, 1875 from Walla Walla County. The county was named for the Columbia River. In 1806 the Lewis and Clark expedition crossed the county and later in the century, in the year 1860, the residents of the county witnessed the first steam navigation of the Snake River. Today Columbia County bases its economy on agriculture, with wheat and vegetable production leading its output. Learn More About State of Washington History.
Columbia County is bordered by Whitman County (north), Garfield County (east), Wallowa County, Oregon (southeast), Umatilla County, Oregon (southwest), Walla Walla County (west), Franklin County (northwest).
Columbia County Cities and Towns include Dayton, Starbuck. A Map of Columbia County, Washington contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Columbia County, Washington Courthouse Records
Columbia County, WA Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research. Although originally held in the county seat, many county land, probate, and court records have been transferred to the state archive's regional branches.
The Columbia County record dates below are from the earliest date to present time. They may include records of land, estates, taxes, vital records, divorces, naturalizations, voter registration, court records, and so forth.
- Columbia County Auditor has Birth and Death Records from 1891 to 1907, Marriage Records from 1876 and Land Records from 1864. The County Auditor has many responsibilities which include the recording of real property documents such as deeds and other recorded documents, issuing various licenses such as marriage liscense.
- Columbia County Clerk has Court Records from 1878 and Probate Records from 1874 . The County Clerk is the administrator of the Superior Court Clerk's Office. The Clerk's Office is responsible for keeping the permanent records of all cases filed in Superior Court. The type of cases filed are felony criminal cases, civil lawsuits, petitions for protection from domestic violence, family law matters (dissolutions 3rd Party Custody, parenting plans, modifications) probates, guardianships, Last Will & Testaments, paternities, adoptions and mental commitments. For judicial purposes, many of the Washington counties were attached to other counties.
- Columbia County Treasurer is the property tax collector for the County. Property Taxes are levied on the property by the various taxing authorities based on the valuation and current property usage as set by the Assessor's Office.
- The Columbia County Health Department can issue Birth, Marriage and Death certificates while you wait.
Columbia County, Washington Census Records
- Learn More: State of Washington Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- State and Territorial Population Schedules: 1857-1892
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Columbia County, Washington Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Washington Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from July 1, 1907 to present.
- Marriage and Divorce Records: from January 1, 1968 to present
- Locations: Washington Department of Health
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth / Death Certificate or the Marriage / Divorce Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Center for Health Statistics, Department of Health, 101 Israel Road SE, Tumwater, WA 98501
Columbia County, Washington Resources
- Washington State Archives, Eastern Washington Regional Archives
- Columbia County Genealogical and Historical Society, PO Box 74, Dayton, WA 99328-0074
- Dayton Washington Family History Center Library, 1114 S 3rd Street, Dayton, WA. 99328. Phone 509-382-2111.
- Dayton Historical Depot, PO Box 1881, 222 E Commercial, Dayton, WA 99328. Phone 509-382-2026.
- Columbia County, Washington Message Boards
- Columbia County, Washington Genealogy Forum
- Washington State Digital Archives
Columbia County, Washington External Links
- Historical Newspapers from Washington (1890 - 1984)
- Columbia County, Washington Books - Amazon
- Columbia Co., Washington - FindaGrave
- Historic sketches of Walla Walla, Whitman, Columbia and Garfield Counties, Washington Territory, and Umatilla County, Oregon
- Columbia County, Washington Links - Cyndi's List
- Columbia Co. WAGenweb