Wallowa County, Oregon Genealogy Guide
|Other OR Resources|
| OR Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
OR Ancestor Records
OR Military Databases
OR Data Collections
OR Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Wallowa County, Oregon (Map It) was created on February 11, 1887 from the eastern portion of Union County. The county was named for the Nez Perce word wallowa to designate a tripod of poles used to support fish nets. The area was claimed by the Chief Joseph band of the Nez Perce as its hunting and fishing grounds . Learn More About State of Oregon History.
Wallowa County is bordered by Umatilla County (west), Union County (west), Baker County (south), Adams County, Idaho (southeast), Idaho County, Idaho (east), Nez Perce County, Idaho (northeast), Asotin County, Washington (north), Garfield County, Washington (north), Columbia County, Washington (north).
Wallowa County Cities and Towns include Enterprise, Joseph, Lostine, Wallowa. A Map of Wallowa County, Oregon contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Wallowa County, Oregon Courthouse Records
Wallowa County, OR Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Wallowa county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Wallowa County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1879 and Land Records from 1875. The County Clerk has many duties which include vital statistics (births, deaths, marriage) and keeps a permanent public record of real estate transactions.
- Wallowa County Circuit Court Clerk has Court Records from 1886 and Probate Records from 1887. The County Circuit Court Clerk has general jurisdiction over all civil and criminal cases, and typically handle cases beyond the jurisdiction of other courts. Circuit Courts also handle divorce, child custody, disputes over title to land, probate matters, juvenile cases, guardianship, adoption, involuntary commitment, and requests for injunctions.
- Wallowa County Records Inventory The Oregon Historical County Records Guide includes descriptions and listings for each type of record in the inventory. Each series description includes a title and a description of how the records are used (function); types of records that may be included in each category (physical content); type of information that may be found (informational content)
Wallowa County, Oregon Census Records
- Learn More: State of Oregon Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- Territory & State Population Schedules: 1895, 1905.
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Wallowa County, Oregon Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Oregon Vital Records
- Birth & Death Records: from 1903 to present
- Marriage Records: from 1911 to present
- Divorce Records: from 1925 to present
- Locations: Oregon Vital Records - Center for Health Statistics, Oregon State Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Oregon Vital Records - Center for Health Statistics, 800 NE Oregon Street, Ste 205, Portland, OR 97293; (971) 673-1190
Wallowa County, Oregon Resources
- Oregon Historical County Records Guide
- Wallowa County, Oregon Message Boards
- Wallowa County, Oregon Genealogy Forum