Isle of Wight County, Virginia Genealogy Guide
|Other VA Resources|
| VA Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
VA Ancestor Records
VA Military Databases
VA Data Collections
VA Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Isle of Wight County, Virginia (Map It) was created in 1634 as one of the original eight shires. The County was originally called Warrosquyoake County, and was renamed in 1637. Part of Nansemond County was added in 1769. Isle of Wight county was named for Isle of Wight, England.. Learn More About State of Virginia History
Isle of Wight County Cities and Towns include Smithfield, Windsor, Battery Park, Benns Church, Burwell's Bay, Carrsville, Central Hill, Indika, Isle of Wight, Lawson, Mogart's Beach, Raynor, Rescue, Rushmere, Stott, Walters, Wills Corner and Zuni .
Isle of Wight County, Virginia Courthouse Records
Isle of Wight County, VA Courthouse
Old Isle of Wight County, VA Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH . The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The Isle of Wight County record dates below are from the earliest date to present time. They may include records of land, estates, taxes, vital records, divorces, naturalizations, voter registration, military discharges and court records. Records fragmented.
- Isle of Wight County Clerk of Circuit Court has Marriage Records from 1771, Land Records from 1636, Court Records from 1636 and Probate Records from 1746. The County Clerk of Circuit Court serves as custodian of all county court records, and is responsible for providing access to those court records by court personnel, the legal community and the public.
- Isle of Wight County (VA) Treasurer
- Isle of Wight County Commissioner of the Revenue
- Isle of Wight County Health Department
- County and City Research in Virginia Guides and Indexes County and city records document the daily activities of the courts in Virginia's counties, independent cities, and towns. The Library of Virginia houses both original and microfilm records for many of Virginia's counties and independent cities. The guides list will help researchers navigate the complex variety of county and city records in the Library's collections. It includes County and City Records at the Library of Virginia, Using County and City Court Records, Chancery Cases, Judgments, Lost Records Localities database and Burned Jurisdiction database.
Isle of Wight County, Virginia Census Records
- Learn More: State of Virginia Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1790 (destroyed), 1800 (destroyed), 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820
- State Population Schedules: Virginia Heads of families 1790: records of the state enumerations, 1782 to 1785
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Isle of Wight County, Virginia Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Virginia Vital Records
- Birth & Death Records: from January 1853 to December 1896 and since June 14, 1912 to present. The Virginia Archives has copies of surviving birth and death records for the period 1853 to 1896
- Marriage Records: from January 1853 to present. The Virginia Archives has copies of marriage records prior to 1936.
- Divorce Records: from January 1918 to present.
- Locations: Virginia Office of Vital Statistics, Virginia State Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: 2001 Maywill Street, Richmond, Virginia 23230
Isle of Wight County, Virginia Resources
- State of Virginia Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Virginia
- Isle of Wight County Historical Society
- Isle of Wight County, Virginia Message Boards
- Isle of Wight County, Virginia Genealogy Forum
- Isle of Wight County microfilmed holdings at The Library of Virginia
- Virginia Heritage - Guides to manuscript and Archival Collections in Isle of Wight Co. Virginia
Isle of Wight County, Virginia External Links
- Historical Newspapers from Virginia (1784 - 1922 )
- Isle of Wight County, Virginia Books - Amazon
- Isle of Wight County Virginia Birth Records, 1867-96
- Virginia Early Quaker Records
- Wills and Administrations of Isle of Wight County, Virginia, 1647-1800
- Using County and City Court Records in the Archives at the Library of Virginia
- Virginia County Records, Volume , VI, VII , IX, X The records in these series were compiled as part of a series known as the Virginia County Records . The volume includes wills, land grants, and marriage bonds as well as other miscellaneous information on early Virginia settlers.
- Isle of Wight Co., Virginia - FindaGrave
- A Brief History of Isle of Wight County, Virginia
- Seventeenth century Isle of Wight County, Virginia
- Isle of Wight County : 1608-1907.
- Proceedings of the Committees of Safety of Cumberland and Isle of Wight Counties, Virginia, 1775-1776