Dickenson County, Virginia Genealogy Guide
|Other VA Resources|
| VA Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
VA Ancestor Records
VA Military Databases
VA Data Collections
VA Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Dickenson County, Virginia (Map It) was created in February 27, 1880 from Russell County, Wise County and Buchanan County . Dickenson county was named for William J. Dickinson, member of the Virginia House of Delegates.. Learn More About State of Virginia History
Dickenson County Cities and Towns include Clinchco, Clintwood and Haysi.
Dickenson County, Virginia Courthouse Records
Dickenson County, VA Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH . The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The Dickenson County record dates below are from the earliest date to present time. They may include records of land, estates, taxes, vital records, divorces, naturalizations, voter registration, military discharges and court records.
- Dickenson County Clerk of Circuit Court has Marriage Records from 1880, Land Records from 1880, Court Records from 1880 and Probate Records from 1880. The County Clerk of Circuit Court serves as custodian of all county court records, and is responsible for providing access to those court records by court personnel, the legal community and the public.
- Dickenson County Treasurer
- Dickenson County Commissioner of Revenue
- Dickenson County Health Department
- County and City Research in Virginia Guides and Indexes County and city records document the daily activities of the courts in Virginia's counties, independent cities, and towns. The Library of Virginia houses both original and microfilm records for many of Virginia's counties and independent cities. The guides list will help researchers navigate the complex variety of county and city records in the Library's collections. It includes County and City Records at the Library of Virginia, Using County and City Court Records, Chancery Cases, Judgments, Lost Records Localities database and Burned Jurisdiction database.
Dickenson County, Virginia Census Records
- Learn More: State of Virginia Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Dickenson County, Virginia Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Virginia Vital Records
- Birth & Death Records: from January 1853 to December 1896 and since June 14, 1912 to present. The Virginia Archives has copies of surviving birth and death records for the period 1853 to 1896
- Marriage Records: from January 1853 to present. The Virginia Archives has copies of marriage records prior to 1936.
- Divorce Records: from January 1918 to present.
- Locations: Virginia Office of Vital Statistics, Virginia State Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: 2001 Maywill Street, Richmond, Virginia 23230
Dickenson County, Virginia Resources
- State of Virginia Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Virginia
- The Virginia Baptist Historical Society
- Jonnie B. Deel Memorial Library
- Southwest Virginia Genealogical Society
- History Museum & Historical Society of Western Virginia
- Mountain People and Places , 1562 Hughes Hollow Road, Clintwood, VA 24228
- Dickenson Historical Society , P.O. Box 323, Clintwood, VA 24228
- Dickenson County, Virginia Message Boards
- Dickenson County, Virginia Genealogy Forum
- Dickenson County microfilmed holdings at The Library of Virginia
- Virginia Heritage - Guides to manuscript and Archival Collections in Dickenson Co. Virginia
Dickenson County, Virginia External Links
- Historical Newspapers from Virginia (1784 - 1922 )
- Dickenson County, Virginia Books - Amazon
- Using County and City Court Records in the Archives at the Library of Virginia
- Virginia County Records, Volume , VI, VII , IX, X The records in these series were compiled as part of a series known as the Virginia County Records . The volume includes wills, land grants, and marriage bonds as well as other miscellaneous information on early Virginia settlers.
- Dickenson County, Virginia Cemeteries
- Dickenson Co., Virginia - FindaGrave
- The History of Dickenson County