Addison County, Vermont Records
Addison County, Vermont (Map It) was created on October 18, 1785 from Rutland County and Orange County. This particular county was named in honor of Joseph Addison (1672–1719), an English politician and writer..
Addison County is bordered by Chittenden County (north), Washington County (northeast), Orange County (east), Windsor County (southeast), Rutland County (south), Washington County, New York (southwest), Essex County, New York (west).
Addison County Cities and Towns include Addison, Bridport, Bristol, Cornwall, Ferrisburgh, Goshen, Granville, Hancock, Leicester, Lincoln, Middlebury, Monkton, New Haven, Orwell, Panton, Ripton, Salisbury, Shoreham, Starksboro, Vergennes, Waltham, Weybridge, Whiting. The Town Maps of Addison County, Vermont contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Addison County, Vermont Courthouse Records
Each town clerk's office holds the original deed, vital, tax, and town meeting records. Included in town or proprietor's meeting records are such valuable sources as lists of freemen (new voters in town), annual election of officers, school records, hog or cattle marks, warnings out to those for whom the town will not assume legal responsibility, militia, and accounts of various town officials. Even though the political division of county has little meaning in Vermont, there are some county land records, primarily for unorganized towns, and county court records located at the appropriate county office. Town Clerks also has copies of vital records birth, marriage, civil unions, divorce and death records.
Addison County Courthouse, 7 Mahady Court St, Middlebury, VT 05753; (802) 388-7741, has Land Records from 1774–1926 (county only) and Probate Records before 1852. Presently includes all the towns in Addison County. The town of Orwell became part of Addison District in 1847 from Fair Haven District. Between 1824 and 1962 the northern part of the county constituted the New Haven District (see below). Those records were filed separately but are now located at Addison County Courthouse as well as an index to them and to all remaining records from Addison after 1852. On 25 February 1852 a fire in the courthouse burned the probate records for Addison district (not New Haven). Only fragments remain for Addison Probate District records before 1852. They are available on microfilm in Montpelier, in chronological order, but are extremely difficult to use.
- Addison Town Clerk, 7099 VT RTE 22A, Addison, VT 05491; Phone: (802)759-2020
- Bridport Town Clerk, P.O. Box 27, Bridport, VT 05734; Phone: (802)758-2483
- Bristol Town Clerk, P.O. Box 249, Bristol, VT 05443; Phone: (802)453-2486
- Cornwall Town Clerk, 2629 Route 30, Cornwall, VT 05753; Phone: (802)462-2775
- Ferrisburgh Town Clerk, P.O. Box 6, Ferrisburgh, VT 05456; Phone: (802)877-3429
- Goshen Town Clerk, 50 Carlisle Hill Road, Goshen, VT 05733; Phone: (802)247-6455
- Granville Town Clerk, P.O. Box 66, Granville, VT 05747; Phone: (802)767-4403
- Hancock Town Clerk, P.O. Box 100, Hancock, VT 05748; Phone: (802)767-3660
- Leicester Town Clerk, 44 Schoolhouse Road, Leicester, VT 05733; Phone: (802)247-5961
- Lincoln Town Clerk, 62 Quaker Street, Lincoln, VT 05443-9253; Phone: (802)453-2980
- Middlebury Town Clerk, 94 Main Street, Middlebury, VT 05753; Phone: (802)388-8102
- Monkton Town Clerk, 280 Monkton Ridge, N. Ferrisburgh, VT 05473; Phone: (802)453-3800
- New Haven Town Clerk, 78 North Street, New Haven, VT 05472; Phone: (802)453-3516
- Orwell Town Clerk, P.O. Box 32, Orwell, VT 05760; Phone: (802)948-2032
- Panton Town Clerk, P.O. Box 174, Vergennes, VT 05491; Phone: (802)475-2333
- Ripton Town Clerk, P.O. Box 10, Ripton, VT 05766; Phone: (802)388-2266
- Salisbury Town Clerk, P.O. Box 66, Salisbury, VT 05769; Phone: (802)352-4228
- Shoreham Town Clerk, 297 Main Street, Shoreham, VT 05770-9759; Phone: (802)897-5841
- Starksboro Town Clerk, P.O. Box 91, Starksboro, VT 05487; Phone: (802)453-2639
- Vergennes Town Clerk, P.O. Box 35, Vergennes, VT 05491; Phone: (802)877-2841
- Waltham Town Clerk, P. O. Box 175, Vergennes, VT 05491; Phone: (802)877-3641
- Weybridge Town Clerk, 1727 Quaker Village Road, Weybridge, VT 05753; Phone: (802)545-2450
- Whiting Town Clerk, 29 South Main Street, Whiting, VT 05778; Phone: (802)623-7813