Washington County, Tennessee Genealogy Guide
|Other TN Resources|
| TN Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
TN Ancestor Records
TN Military Databases
TN Data Collections
TN Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Washington County, Tennessee (Map It) was created on November 15, 1777 from western territory known as the Washington District. This Washington County was named in honor of U.S. President George Washington (1732–1799) Learn More About State of Tennessee History
Washington County Cities and Towns include Gray, Johnson City, Jonesborough, Midway, Oak Grove . A Map of Washington County, Tennessee contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Washington County, Tennessee Courthouse Records
Washington County, TN Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Washington county or in the Tennessee State Library & Archives. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered. There was a fire at the Washington County courthouse in 1839.
- Washington County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1787 and Probate Records from 1779. The County Clerk maintains Marriage & Divorce records. It also has jurisdiction over probate cases. Wills, administrations, and all other records pertaining to probate are recorded in the respective county clerk's office. If the will or administration was contested, the records of these actions may be filed in the circuit court or chancery court.
- Washington County Register of Deeds has Land & Deed Records from 1782. The County Register of Deeds has land records beginning with county organization, land records are available from the register of deeds at the Sevier county courthouse. Land and property records include transfer of real estate or personal property, mortgages, leases, surveys, and entries.
- Washington County Clerk of Circuit Court has Chancery Court Minutes from 1836, Circuit Court Minutes from 1809 and County Court Minutes 1778. The County Clerk of Circuit Court has jurisdiction over property disputes, and circuit courts oversee criminal cases, divorces, and adoptions. Early courts included courts of common pleas and quarter sessions.
- Washington County Property Assessor has Tax Records from 1778-1781, 1787, 1790-1853, 1856-1871, 1875-1900 and are located at the Tennessee State Library and Archives. The County Property Assessor is responsible for the evaluation of all real property, the cadastral mapping of the county, valuation of all business personal property and maintaining ownership records. The property assessor prepares the tax rolls for the trustee and all the municipalities. Tax lists can be used to locate families, document historic properties and study community history. Early tax lists generally include all white males over 21 and indicate whether they owned land or slaves.
- Washington County Health Department issues birth certificates and death certificates (deaths which occurred in that county within the past three years, and a few county health departments keep death records for longer periods of time).
Washington County, Tennessee Census Records
- Learn More: State of Tennessee Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1800 (part), 1810 (part), 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820
- State Territory Census: 1770-1790 Census of the Cumberland Settlements
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Washington County, Tennessee Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Tennessee Vital Records
- Birth Records: from January 1914 to present, also for Nashville since June 1881, for Knoxville since July 1881, and for Chattanooga since January 1882
- Marriage, Divorce and Death Records: from the past 50 years to present.
- Locations: Tennessee Office of Vital Records, Tennessee State Library and Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Tennessee Office of Vital Records, 1st Floor, Central Services Building, 421 Fifth Avenue, North, Nashville, TN 37243; PH: 615-741-1763
Washington County, Tennessee Resources
- State of Tennessee Archives and Societies
- Emmanuel School of Religion, Restoration Movement Archives, One Walker Drive, Johnson City, TN 37601 423-926-6198
- Jonesborough-Washington County History Museum
- Tipton-Haynes Historical Site, 2620 South Roan Street, PO Box 225, Johnson City, TN 37605 423-926-3631
- RAOGK Volunteers for Tennessee
- Washington County, Tennessee Message Boards
- Washington County, Tennessee Genealogy Forum read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Washington County
- Genealogical "Fact Sheets" About Washington County
Washington County, Tennessee External Links
- Historical Newspapers from Tennessee (1795 - 1929 )
- Tennessee Newspaper List by County and City
- Washington County, Tennessee Books - Amazon
- Tennessee Real Estate Assessment Data Property Search
- Washington County Records on Microfilm - Order County Microfilm Inventories and Reels
- Early Washington County Records Available on Interlibrary Loan
- Washington Co., Tennessee - FindaGrave