Lauderdale County, Tennessee Records
Lauderdale County, Tennessee (Map It) was created on November 24, 1835 from Dyer County, Tipton County and Haywood County. This Lauderdale County was named in honor of James Lauderdale, who was killed in the War of 1812.
Lauderdale County Cities and Towns include Gates, Halls, Henning, Ripley .
A Map of Lauderdale County, Tennessee contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Lauderdale County, Tennessee Courthouse Records
Lauderdale County, TN Courthouse
The Lauderdale County Courthouse is located in Ripley, Tennessee. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Lauderdale county or in the Tennessee State Library & Archives. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
There was a fire at the Lauderdale County courthouse in 1869. Some records were destroyed.
- Lauderdale County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1838 and Probate Records from 1837.
- Lauderdale County Register of Deeds has Land & Deed Records from 1835.
- Lauderdale County Clerk of Circuit Court has Chancery Court Minutes from 1856, Circuit Court Minutes from 1836 and County Court Minutes 1836.
- Lauderdale County Property Assessor has Tax Records from 1836, 1843-1850, 1852-1856, 1873-1880, 1882-1883, 1885-1886, 1888-1897 and are located at the Tennessee State Library and Archives. Tax lists can be used to locate families, document historic properties and study community history. Early tax lists generally include all white males over 21 and indicate whether they owned land or slaves.
- Lauderdale County Health Department issues birth certificates and death certificates (deaths which occurred in that county within the past three years, and a few county health departments keep death records for longer periods of time).
Lauderdale County, Tennessee Census Records
- Learn More: State of Tennessee Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Lauderdale County, Tennessee Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Tennessee Vital Records
- Birth Records: from January 1914 to present, also for Nashville since June 1881, for Knoxville since July 1881, and for Chattanooga since January 1882
- Marriage, Divorce and Death Records: from the past 50 years to present.
- Locations: Tennessee Office of Vital Records, Tennessee State Library and Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Tennessee Office of Vital Records, 1st Floor, Central Services Building, 421 Fifth Avenue, North, Nashville, TN 37243; PH: 615-741-1763
Lauderdale County, Tennessee Resources
- State of Tennessee Archives and Societies
- Lauderdale County Archives, 957 Doctor Hall Road, Halls, TN 38040; Phone: (731) 836-7073
- Lauderdale County Historical Society
- Alex Haley Museum Assocation, 200 South Church Street, PO Box 500, Henning, TN 38041 731-738-2240
- Halls Public Library, 110 N. Church Street, PO Box 236, Halls, TN 38040 731-836-5302
- Lauderdale County Library, 120 Lafayette Street, Ripley, TN 38063 731-635-1872
- RAOGK Volunteers for Tennessee
- Lauderdale County, Tennessee Message Boards
- Genealogical "Fact Sheets" About Lauderdale County
Lauderdale County, Tennessee External Links
- Historical Newspapers from Tennessee (1795 - 1929 )
- Tennessee Newspaper List by County and City
- Lauderdale County, Tennessee Books - Amazon
- Tennessee Real Estate Assessment Data Property Search
- Lauderdale County Records on Microfilm - Order County Microfilm Inventories and Reels
- Early Lauderdale County Records Available on Interlibrary Loan
- Lauderdale Co., Tennessee - FindaGrave
- Lauderdale County History and Culture
- Lauderdale County, Tennessee Links - Cyndi's List
- Lauderdale Co. TNGenweb
- Lauderdale County, Tennessee Ancestry Database Collections
- Lauderdale Co. D.O.T. County Highway Map
- Lauderdale County, Tennessee Military Records