Josephine County, Oregon Records
Josephine County, Oregon (Map It) was created on January 22, 1856 from the western half of Jackson County. The county was named in honor of Virginia "Josephine" Rollins, the first white woman to make this county her home..
Josephine County Cities and Towns include Cave Junction, Grants Pass. A Map of Josephine County, Oregon contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Josephine County, Oregon Courthouse Records
Josephine County, OR Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Josephine county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Josephine County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1857 and Land Records from 1854. The County Clerk has many duties which include vital statistics (births, deaths, marriage) and keeps a permanent public record of real estate transactions.
- Josephine County Circuit Court Clerk has Court Records from 1848 and Probate Records from 1854. The County Circuit Court Clerk has general jurisdiction over all civil and criminal cases, and typically handle cases beyond the jurisdiction of other courts. Circuit Courts also handle divorce, child custody, disputes over title to land, probate matters, juvenile cases, guardianship, adoption, involuntary commitment, and requests for injunctions.
- Josephine County Records Inventory The Oregon Historical County Records Guide includes descriptions and listings for each type of record in the inventory. Each series description includes a title and a description of how the records are used (function); types of records that may be included in each category (physical content); type of information that may be found (informational content)
Josephine County, Oregon Census Records
- Learn More: State of Oregon Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- Territory & State Population Schedules: 1856, 1857, 1858, 1859, 1865, 1875, 1885, 1895, 1905.
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Josephine County, Oregon Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Oregon Vital Records
- Birth & Death Records: from 1903 to present
- Marriage Records: from 1911 to present
- Divorce Records: from 1925 to present
- Locations: Oregon Vital Records - Center for Health Statistics, Oregon State Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Oregon Vital Records - Center for Health Statistics, 800 NE Oregon Street, Ste 205, Portland, OR 97293; (971) 673-1190
Josephine County, Oregon Resources
- Josephine County Historical Society
- Oregon Historical County Records Guide
- Josephine County, Oregon Message Boards
- Josephine County, Oregon Genealogy Forum
Josephine County, Oregon External Links
- Historical Newspapers from Oregon (1816 - 1923)
- Josephine County, Oregon Books - Amazon
- Josephine Co., Oregon - FindaGrave
- History of southern Oregon : comprising Jackson, Josephine, Douglas, Curry and Coos Counties
- Josephine County, Oregon Links - Cyndi's List
- Josephine Co. ORGenweb
- Josephine County, Oregon Ancestry Database Collections
- Josephine County, Oregon Military Records
- Oregon City Directories