Del Norte County, California Genealogy Guide
|Other CA Resources|
| CA Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
CA Ancestor Records
CA Military Databases
CA Data Collections
CA Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Del Norte County, California (Map It) was created on March 2, 1857 from Klamath County . Del Norte County was named for “the north,” and the county derived its name from its geographical position in the extreme northwest corner of the state. Learn More About State of California History
Del Norte County Cities and Towns include Crescent City .
Since its creation Del Norte County boundries have changed to include these:
- Territory in Trinity County from 1850 to 1851, was in Klamath County from 1851 to 1857 when it was moved to Del Norte County.
- Territory in Trinity County from 1850 to 1851, in Klamath County from 1851 to 1875, was in Humboldt County from 1875 to 1901 when it was added to Del Norte County.
- Territory in Trinity County from 1850 to 1851, in Klamath County from 1851 to 1875, was in Siskiyou County from 1875 to 1887 when it was added to Del Norte County.
- Territory which at one time was in Del Norte County is now in Humboldt County and Siskiyou County.
Del Norte County, California Courthouse Records
Del Norte County, CA Courthouse
Old Del Norte County Courthouse
The Del Norte County Courthouse is located in Crescent City, California. Land was later added from counties Siskiyou (1887) and Humboldt (1901). The courthouse was destroyed by fire in 1948. Some early records were destroyed. Learn More About State of California Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
Courthouse History - Crescent City was named the county seat when Del Norte was created from the now-defunct Klamath County in 1857. Years later, in the 1883 election, residents approved bonds for a courthouse in a vote of 176 for, 84 against. Local historians say that it was here in the 1930s and 1940s that the unsuccessful movement to create the State of Jefferson, with a local judge as its first governor, was organized. The courthouse was destroyed by fire in 1948, and a new courthouse was built across the street from the original location.
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research. Some early court records from the various courts may have been sent to the California State Archives. Besides court minutes and judgements, these records include tax lists, wills, deeds, estate inventories, and marriage bonds. The California State Archives has microfilm of selected county records, 1850–1919.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Del Norte county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered. Some counties encompass land settled in the eighteenth century; their records pre-date county formation. Land transactions and vital records recorded in the county are at the county recorder's office. The county clerk general has probate books and files from the county's superior court, civil court records, and naturalizations. Divorces may be in either place, depending on how filed.
- Del Norte County Recorder-Clerk has Birth / Death Records from 1873, Marriage Records from 1857 and Land Records from 1853. The County Recorder-Clerk is s responsible for examination and recording of all documents presented for recording that deal with establishing ownership of land in the County or as required by statute; administers the real property transfer tax law and maintains a permanent record and indexes of all documents for public viewing plus providing certified copies requested by the public; recording of all lawful documents such as deeds, deeds of trust, judgments, liens, affidavits, Uniform Commercial Code Financial Statements, etc; and the filing of Births, Deaths, and Marriages.
- Del Norte County Clerk of Superior Court has Probate Records from 1848 and Court Records from 1848. The County Clerk of Superior Court has probate books and files from the county's superior court, civil court records, and naturalizations. Divorces may be here or in the Recorders Office, depending on how it was filed.
- Del Norte County County Treasurer / Tax Collector
- Local Registrar of Births and Deaths,
Del Norte County, California Census Records
- Learn More: State of California Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- State Population Schedules: Voter Registers, 1866-1898, Voter Registrations, 1900-1968
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Del Norte County, California Vital Records
- Learn More: State of California Vital Records
- Birth Records: from July 1905 to present.
- Marriage Records: Indexes from 1949-1986 and 1998-1999.
- Death Records: from July 1905 to present. See Local County Recorder
- Divorce Records: from 1962 and June, 1984. See local County Circuit or County Chancery Clerk.
- Locations: California Department of Public Health, Vital Records, – MS 5103, 1501 Capitol Avenue, Sacramento, CA 95814; PH (916) 445-1719 or (916) 445-2684
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Del Norte County, California Resources
- Del Norte County Historical Society
- Del Norte County Library District
- Del Norte County, California Message Boards
- Del Norte County, California Genealogy Forum
- Del Norte County, California Mailing lists