Currituck County, North Carolina Genealogy Guide
|Other NC Resources|
| NC Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
NC Ancestor Records
NC Military Databases
NC Data Collections
NC Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Currituck County, North Carolina (Map It) was created on 1668 from Albemarle County (originally named Carteret precinct; declared a Carteret County in 1739). This county was named for an American Indian word for wild geese, also rendered "Coratank" . Learn More About State of North Carolina History.
Currituck County Cities and Towns include Currituck, Sligo, Moyock, Shawboro, Gregory, KnottsIsland, Maple, Barco, Waterlily, Corolla, Sanderling, Poplar Beach, Coinjock, Grandy, Jarvisburg, Powells Point, Mamie, Spot, Harbinger, PointHarbor. A Map of Currituck County, North Carolina contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Currituck County Townships include Fruitville , Crawford , Poplar Branch , Moyock. View a Map of Currituck County Townships.
Currituck County, North Carolina Courthouse Records
Currituck County, NC Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Currituck county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered. Also see the Currituck County Records in the North Carolina State Archives. The County Courthouse was destroyed in 1842 by fire, some earlier records were destroyed.
- Currituck County Register of Deeds has Birth Records from 1914, Marriage Records from 1851, Death Records from 1914 and Land Records from 1735. The Register of Deeds holds land and vital records if they have not been transferred to the state archives in Raleigh. Land records may include deeds, grants, plats, and other miscellaneous items. houses most birth and death records and marriage licenses.
- Currituck County Clerk of Court has Probate Records from 1772, Court Records from 1799 and Divorce Records from call court clerk for details. The County Clerk of Court holds probate records and court records if they have not been transferred to the state archives in Raleigh. Probate records include not only wills, but also loose estates records. Court records may include apprentice bonds, bastardy bonds, and officials' or constables' bonds in addition to dockets, fee and account books, and court minutes and orders. They also have Divorce Records.
- Currituck County Tax Assessor / Collector
- Currituck Co. North Carolina County Health Department
Currituck County, North Carolina Census Records
- Learn More: State of North Carolina Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1790 (incomplete), 1800 (incomplete), 1810 (incomplete), 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820, Census Substitutes Index, 1790-1890
- State Population Schedules: 1784-1787
- Native American Population Schedules: 1894-1913
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Currituck County, North Carolina Vital Records
- Learn More: State of North Carolina Vital Records
- Birth Records: from October 1913 to present
- Marriage Records: from January 1962 to present
- Death Records: from January 1, 1930 to present
- Divorce Records: from January 1958 to present
- Locations: North Carolina Vital Records
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Death, Divorce and Marriage Certificate Applications.
- In Person: North Carolina Vital Records (Cooper Memorial Health Building), 225 N. McDowell St., Raleigh, NC 27603-1382; 919-733-3000
Currituck County, North Carolina Resources
- Albemarle Genealogical Society
- Family Research Society of Northeastern NC
- Currituck County, North Carolina Message Boards
- Currituck County, North Carolina Genealogy Forum read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Currituck County
Currituck County, North Carolina External Links
- Historical Newspapers from North Carolina (1719 - 1977)
- Currituck County, North Carolina Books - Amazon
- Abstracts of Wills and Other Records, Currituck and Dare Counties, North Carolina (1663-1850)
- Currituck County Eighteenth Century Tax Records
- Currituck Co., North Carolina - FindaGrave
- Mt. Zion United Methodist Church History
- A History of Currituck County, North Carolina
- North Carolina Digital Collections