Yates County, New York Genealogy Guide
|Other NY Resources|
| NY Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
NY Ancestor Records
NY Military Databases
NY Data Collections
NY Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Yates County Cities and Towns include Barrington (town), Benton (town), Dresden (village), Dundee (village), Italy (town), Jerusalem (town), Middlesex (town), Milo (town), Penn Yan (village), Potter (town), Rushville (village), Starkey (town), Torrey (town).
Yates County, New York Courthouse Records
Yates County, NY Courthouse
The Yates County Courthouse is located in Penn Yan, New York. Also contact local Town Clerks. They are responsible for vast amounts of local information from deeds, property transfers, and genealogical materials. Research on place and road names, the history of property transfers and much more are available through your Town Clerk. They are a tremendous resources. Learn More About State of New York Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Yates county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Yates County Clerk has Land Records from 1823, Court Records from 1823 and Naturalization Records. State court naturalization records remain in custody of the county clerks. Older court naturalization records have been transferred to the National Archives--Northeast Region. The County Clerk is the keeper of most civil and criminal trial court records for Supreme Court and County Court, naturalizations, marriages (1908–35), censuses (Some county clerks' offices hold duplicate copies of some of the State censuses taken periodically between 1825 and 1925 and copies of the federal census), as well as deeds and mortgages.
- Yates County Surrogate Court Clerk has Probate Records from 1823. The County Surrogate Court Clerk maintain records of wills, letters testamentary, letters of administration, orders and decrees, and appointments of guardians; and filed papers, including original wills, petitions for probate (gives date of death and lists next of kin), performance bonds, property inventories (seldom found after ca. 1900), administrator's or executor's accountings, etc. Surrogate's Courts create comprehensive indexes to records and files.
- Yates County Treasurer is responsible for the collection of taxes.
- Yates County Historian maintains archival holdings for virtually every facet of the county’s history. In New York State, every municipality (town, city, village, county) must have an appointed historian. Most of the towns have their own historians as well and each can be contacted. The County Historian may provide access to obituaries, vital records, church records, maps, and family files or journals. Some historians provide search services for their office records and others may refer you to local genealogists who research in the area.
Yates County, New York Census Records
- Learn More: State of New York Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820
- State Population Schedules: 1855, 1865, 1875, 1892, 1905, 1915, 1925
- Other State Census Schedules: Census of Inmates in Almshouses and Poorhouses, 1830-1920, Census Mortality Schedules, 1850-1880, Non-Population Schedules 1850-1880
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Yates County, New York Vital Records
- Learn More: State of New York Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from 1880 to present
- Marriage Records: from 1880 to present
- Divorce Records: from January 1963 to present. Earlier Records are in the County Clerk's Office.
- Locations: New York State Dept of Health, Vital Records Section
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate, Genealogy Applications.
- In Person: New York State Dept of Health, Vital Records Section, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12237; (518) 474-3077, (518) 474-3038 Information
Yates County, New York Resources
- State of New York Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for New York
- Yates County Genealogical and Historical Society, Inc.
- Central New York Genealogical Society
- Penn Yan Public Library
- New York Genealogy Research Community
- Yates County, New York Message Boards
- Yates County, New York Genealogy Forum
Yates County, New York External Links
- Historical Newspapers from New York (1719 - 1992)
- Chronicle Express (Penn Yan, New York)
- Yates County Chronicle (Penn Yan, New York)
- Penn Yan Express (Penn Yan, New York)
- Dundee Record (Dundee, New York)
- Yates County, New York Books - Amazon
- Inscriptions from three abandonded [sic] cemeteries in Yates County, New York
- Yates Co., New York - FindaGrave
- History and directory of Yates County
- History of Yates County, N.Y.
- Yates County's "boys in blue", 1861-1865
- Penn Yan, New York
- Yates County, New York Links - Cyndi's List
- Yates Co. NYGenweb
- New York Farm Directory, 1914: Yates, Schuyler, Tompkins & Seneca Counties
- Index to business directory, New historical atlas of Yates County, New York, Everts, Ensign & Everts (pub. 1876)
- Yates County, New York Ancestry Database Collections
- The military history of Yates County, N.Y. : comprising a record of the services rendered by citizens of this county in the arm
- Yates County, New York Military Records