Schoharie County, New York Records
Schoharie County Cities and Towns include Blenheim (town), Broome (town), Carlisle (town), Cobleskill (village), Cobleskill (town), Conesville (town), Esperance (town), Esperance (village), Fulton (town), Gilboa (town), Jefferson (town), Middleburgh (village), Middleburgh (town), Richmondville (village), Richmondville (town), Schoharie (town), Schoharie (village), Seward (town), Sharon Springs (village), Sharon (town), Summit (town), Wright (town) .
Schoharie County, New York Courthouse Records
Schoharie County, NY Courthouse
The Schoharie County Courthouse is located in Schoharie, New York. Also contact local Town Clerks. They are responsible for vast amounts of local information from deeds, property transfers, and genealogical materials. Research on place and road names, the history of property transfers and much more are available through your Town Clerk. They are a tremendous resources. Learn More About State of New York Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Schoharie county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Schoharie County Clerk has Land Records from 1795, Court Records from 1795 and Naturalization Records. State court naturalization records remain in custody of the county clerks. Older court naturalization records have been transferred to the National Archives--Northeast Region. The County Clerk is the keeper of most civil and criminal trial court records for Supreme Court and County Court, naturalizations, marriages (1908–35), censuses (Some county clerks' offices hold duplicate copies of some of the State censuses taken periodically between 1825 and 1925 and copies of the federal census), as well as deeds and mortgages.
- Schoharie County Surrogate Court Clerk has Probate Records from 1795. The County Surrogate Court Clerk maintain records of wills, letters testamentary, letters of administration, orders and decrees, and appointments of guardians; and filed papers, including original wills, petitions for probate (gives date of death and lists next of kin), performance bonds, property inventories (seldom found after ca. 1900), administrator's or executor's accountings, etc. Surrogate's Courts create comprehensive indexes to records and files.
- Schoharie County Treasurer is responsible for the collection of taxes.
- Schoharie County Historian maintains archival holdings for virtually every facet of the county’s history. In New York State, every municipality (town, city, village, county) must have an appointed historian. Most of the towns have their own historians as well and each can be contacted. The County Historian may provide access to obituaries, vital records, church records, maps, and family files or journals. Some historians provide search services for their office records and others may refer you to local genealogists who research in the area.
Schoharie County, New York Census Records
- Learn More: State of New York Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820
- State Population Schedules: 1855, 1865, 1875, 1892, 1905, 1915, 1925
- Other State Census Schedules: Census of Inmates in Almshouses and Poorhouses, 1830-1920, Census Mortality Schedules, 1850-1880, Non-Population Schedules 1850-1880
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Schoharie County, New York Vital Records
- Learn More: State of New York Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from 1880 to present
- Marriage Records: from 1880 to present
- Divorce Records: from January 1963 to present. Earlier Records are in the County Clerk's Office.
- Locations: New York State Dept of Health, Vital Records Section
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate, Genealogy Applications.
- In Person: New York State Dept of Health, Vital Records Section, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12237; (518) 474-3077, (518) 474-3038 Information
Schoharie County, New York Resources
- State of New York Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for New York
- Schoharie County Historical Society; The Schoharie County Historical Society maintains the Old Stone Fort Museum Complex and the Old Stone Fort Library. Weathervane, the society's monthly newsletter, and the bi-yearly Historical Review.
- Central New York Genealogical Society
- Capital District Genealogical Society
- Old Stone Fort Library; Cemetery indexes, Censuses, Church Records, Directories, Military Records, Newspapers and Obituaries, Will Abstracts, and more. The Library is maintained by the Scoharie County Historical Society and is part of the Old Stone Fort Museum Complex. The Library is open regularly May through October and by appointment November through April.The library also accepts Genealogy Requests.
- New York Genealogy Research Community
- Schoharie County, New York Message Boards
- Schoharie County, New York Genealogy Forum
Schoharie County, New York External Links
- Historical Newspapers from New York (1719 - 1992)
- Schoharie County, New York Books - Amazon
- Schoharie Co., New York - FindaGrave
- History of Schoharie County and Border Wars of New York
- Old Schoharie : address
- Schoharie County, New York Links - Cyndi's List
- Schoharie Co. NYGenweb
- Schoharie County, New York Directory, 1899
- Schoharie County, New York Directory, 1872
- Schoharie County, New York Ancestry Database Collections
- Schoharie County, New York Military Records