Oneida County, New York Records
Oneida County Cities and Towns include Annsville (town), Augusta (town), Ava (town), Barneveld (village), Boonville (town), Boonville (village), Bridgewater (town), Bridgewater (village), Camden (town), Camden (village), Clark Mills, Clayville (village), Clinton (village), Deerfield (town), Florence (town), Floyd (town), Forestport (town), Holland Patent (village), Kirkland (town), Lee (town), Marcy (town), Marshall (town), New Hartford (village), New Hartford (town), New York Mills (village), Oneida Castle (village), Oriskany (village), Oriskany Falls (village), Paris (town), Prospect (village), Remsen (village), Remsen (town), Rome (city), Sangerfield (town), Sherrill (city), Steuben (town), Sylvan Beach (village), Trenton (town), Utica (city), Vernon (village), Vernon (town), Verona (town), Vienna (town), Waterville (village), Western (town), Westmoreland (town), Whitesboro (village), Whitestown (town), Yorkville (village) .
Oneida County, New York Courthouse Records
Oneida County, NY Courthouse
The Oneida County Courthouse is located in Utica, New York. Also contact local Town Clerks. They are responsible for vast amounts of local information from deeds, property transfers, and genealogical materials. Research on place and road names, the history of property transfers and much more are available through your Town Clerk. They are a tremendous resources. Learn More About State of New York Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Oneida county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
At the B-1 Records Center, 800 Park Ave., Utica 13501. Deeds 1886 to present are with the county clerk.
- Oneida County Clerk has Land Records from 1791 - 1885, Court Records from 1798 and Naturalization Records. State court naturalization records remain in custody of the county clerks. Older court naturalization records have been transferred to the National Archives--Northeast Region. The County Clerk is the keeper of most civil and criminal trial court records for Supreme Court and County Court, naturalizations, marriages (1908–35), censuses (Some county clerks' offices hold duplicate copies of some of the State censuses taken periodically between 1825 and 1925 and copies of the federal census), as well as deeds and mortgages.
- Oneida County Surrogate Court Clerk has Probate Records from 1798. The County Surrogate Court Clerk maintain records of wills, letters testamentary, letters of administration, orders and decrees, and appointments of guardians; and filed papers, including original wills, petitions for probate (gives date of death and lists next of kin), performance bonds, property inventories (seldom found after ca. 1900), administrator's or executor's accountings, etc. Surrogate's Courts create comprehensive indexes to records and files.
- Oneida County Treasurer is responsible for the collection of taxes.
- Oneida County Historian maintains archival holdings for virtually every facet of the county’s history. In New York State, every municipality (town, city, village, county) must have an appointed historian. Most of the towns have their own historians as well and each can be contacted. The County Historian may provide access to obituaries, vital records, church records, maps, and family files or journals. Some historians provide search services for their office records and others may refer you to local genealogists who research in the area.
Oneida County, New York Census Records
- Learn More: State of New York Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820
- State Population Schedules: 1855, 1865, 1875, 1892, 1905, 1915, 1925
- Other State Census Schedules: Census of Inmates in Almshouses and Poorhouses, 1830-1920, Census Mortality Schedules, 1850-1880, Non-Population Schedules 1850-1880
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Oneida County, New York Vital Records
- Learn More: State of New York Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from 1880 to present
- Marriage Records: from 1880 to present
- Divorce Records: from January 1963 to present. Earlier Records are in the County Clerk's Office.
- Locations: New York State Dept of Health, Vital Records Section
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate, Genealogy Applications.
- In Person: New York State Dept of Health, Vital Records Section, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12237; (518) 474-3077, (518) 474-3038 Information
Oneida County, New York Resources
- State of New York Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for New York
- Oneida County Historical Society
- Rome Historical Society and Library
- Central New York Genealogical Society
- Utica Public Library
- Jervis Public Library
- Waterville Public Library
- MidYork Library System
- Catalogue of the library of the Oneida Historical Society at Utica
- New York Genealogy Research Community
- Oneida County, New York Message Boards
- Oneida County, New York Genealogy Forum
Oneida County, New York External Links
- Historical Newspapers from New York (1719 - 1992)
- Oneida County, New York Books - Amazon
- Abstracts of wills of Oneida County, N.Y.
- Oneida Co., New York - FindaGrave
- History of Oneida County, New York : from 1700 to the present time
- History of Oneida County, New York : with illustrations and biographical sketches of some of its prominent men and pioneers.
- Oneida County, New York Links - Cyndi's List
- Oneida Co. NYGenweb
- Gazetteer and business directory of Oneida County, N.Y. for 1869
- Utica, New York Directories, 1887-91
- Rome, New York Directories, 1887-92
- Boyd's Rome directory
- Directory, 1919-1920
- Oneida County, New York Ancestry Database Collections
- A history of the One Hundred and Seventeenth Regiment, N.Y. Volunteers, (Fourth Oneida)
- Men of Oneida County who served in the American Revolution
- Honor roll : Oneida County in the war, 1917-1919.
- Oneida County, New York Servicemen, 1917-19
- Oneida County, New York Military Records