Chenango County, New York Records
Chenango County Cities and Towns include Afton (village), Afton (town), Bainbridge (town), Bainbridge (village), Columbus (town), Coventry (town), Earlville (village), German (town), Greene (town), Greene (village), Guilford (town), Lincklaen (town), McDonough (town), New Berlin (town), New Berlin (village), North Norwich (town), Norwich (city), Norwich (town), Otselic (town), Oxford (town), Oxford (village), Pharsalia (town), Pitcher (town), Plymouth (town), Preston (town), Sherburne (town), Sherburne (village), Smithville (town), Smyrna (town), Smyrna (village).
Chenango County, New York Courthouse Records
Chenango County, NY Courthouse
The Chenango County Courthouse is located in Norwich, New York. Also contact local Town Clerks. They are responsible for vast amounts of local information from deeds, property transfers, and genealogical materials. Research on place and road names, the history of property transfers and much more are available through your Town Clerk. They are a tremendous resources. Learn More About State of New York Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Chenango county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Chenango County Clerk has Land Records from 1798, Court Records from 1798 and Naturalization Records. State court naturalization records remain in custody of the county clerks. Older court naturalization records have been transferred to the National Archives--Northeast Region. The County Clerk is the keeper of most civil and criminal trial court records for Supreme Court and County Court, naturalizations, marriages (1908–35), censuses (Some county clerks' offices hold duplicate copies of some of the State censuses taken periodically between 1825 and 1925 and copies of the federal census), as well as deeds and mortgages.
- Chenango County Surrogate Court Clerk has Probate Records from 1798. The County Surrogate Court Clerk maintain records of wills, letters testamentary, letters of administration, orders and decrees, and appointments of guardians; and filed papers, including original wills, petitions for probate (gives date of death and lists next of kin), performance bonds, property inventories (seldom found after ca. 1900), administrator's or executor's accountings, etc. Surrogate's Courts create comprehensive indexes to records and files.
- Chenango County Treasurer is responsible for the collection of taxes.
- Chenango County Historian maintains archival holdings for virtually every facet of the county’s history. In New York State, every municipality (town, city, village, county) must have an appointed historian. Most of the towns have their own historians as well and each can be contacted. The County Historian may provide access to obituaries, vital records, church records, maps, and family files or journals. Some historians provide search services for their office records and others may refer you to local genealogists who research in the area.
Chenango County, New York Census Records
- Learn More: State of New York Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820
- State Population Schedules: 1855, 1865, 1875, 1892, 1905, 1915, 1925
- Other State Census Schedules: Census of Inmates in Almshouses and Poorhouses, 1830-1920, Census Mortality Schedules, 1850-1880, Non-Population Schedules 1850-1880
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Chenango County, New York Vital Records
- Learn More: State of New York Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from 1880 to present
- Marriage Records: from 1880 to present
- Divorce Records: from January 1963 to present. Earlier Records are in the County Clerk's Office.
- Locations: New York State Dept of Health, Vital Records Section
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate, Genealogy Applications.
- In Person: New York State Dept of Health, Vital Records Section, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12237; (518) 474-3077, (518) 474-3038 Information
Chenango County, New York Resources
- State of New York Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for New York
- The Chenango County Historical Society
- Afton Historical Society
- Central New York Genealogical Society
- Go-Won-Go Chapter, National Society Daughters of the American Revolution, Greene, New York
- Guilford Historical Society
- Norwich Civil War Round Table
- Unadilla Valley Railway Society and Museum
- The Otis A Thompson-Local History Room
- Moore Memorial Library
- Norwich City Historian
- Earlville Free Library
- Oxford Historical Society and The Oxford Historical Museum
- Oxford Memorial Library, Fort Hill Park, Oxford, NY 13830, (607) 843-6146
- Afton Museum
- Coventry Museum, Coventry, NY, 607-656-9517
- Unadilla Valley Historical Museum/Mt Upton Historical Society, Route 8, PO Box 135, Mt Upton, NY 13809, 607-764-8375
- Norwich Pharmacal Co. Museum, Eaton Center, 19 Eaton Avenue, Norwich, NY 13815, 607-334-4839
- Plymouth Historical Society Depot, Plymouth, NY, 607-334-9721
- New York Genealogy Research Community
- Chenango County, New York Message Boards
- Chenango County, New York Genealogy Forum
Chenango County, New York External Links
- Historical Newspapers from New York (1719 - 1992)
- Norwich Sun (Norwich, New York)
- Chenango County, New York Books - Amazon
- Index to wills of Chenango County, N.Y.
- Index of wills of Chenango County, New York, from 1797-1850
- Chenango Co., New York - FindaGrave
- Afton, NY History
- Bainbridge, NY History
- Columbus, NY History
- Coventry, NY History
- German, NY History
- Greene, NY History
- Guilford, NY History
- Lincklaen, NY History
- McDonough, NY History
- New Berlin, NY History
- North Norwich, NY History
- Norwich, NY History
- Otselic, NY History
- Oxford, NY History
- Pharsalia, NY History
- Pitcher, NY History
- Plymouth, NY History
- Preston, NY History
- Sherburne, NY History
- Smithville, NY History
- Smyrna, NY History
- History of Chenango and Madison Counties, New York
- Annals of Oxford, New York : with illustrations and biographical sketches of some of its prominent men and early pioneers
- Historical sketches of old New Berlin
- Chenango County, New York Links - Cyndi's List
- Chenango Co. NYGenweb
- Chenango County, New York Directory, 1902
- Gazetteer and business directory of Chenango County, N.Y., for 1869-70
- Chenango County, New York Ancestry Database Collections
- Chenango County, New York Military Records