Valencia County, New Mexico Genealogy Guide
|Other NM Resources|
|NM Birth Records|
NM Marriage Records
NM Divorce Records
NM Death Records
NM Ancestor Records
NM Military Databases
NM Data Collections
NM Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Valencia County, New Mexico (Map It) was created on January 6, 1852 as one of the nine original counties. The county was named for the town of Valencia, New Mexico, which is itself named for Valencia, Spain. Learn More About State of New Mexico History
Valencia County Cities and Towns include Belen, Peralta, Bosque Farms, Los Lunas.
Valencia County, New Mexico Courthouse Records
Valencia County, NM Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Valencia county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered. Original territorial records were filed at Valencia, 1852-72; Tome, 1872-74; Belen, 1874-76. Registro Matrimonios (1869-1905) and Marriage Certificates (1885-1912) available at the New Mexico State Records Center and Archives.
- Valencia County Clerks office has Marriage Records from 1869, Land Records from 1880s and Probate Records from 1870. The County Clerks office has land records, including deeds, mining records, surveys, and plats; marriage records; and some probate records. Also Military discharges, liens, mortgages, powers of attorney, and miscellaneous affidavits may be found there.
- Valencia County 13th District Court Clerk has many responsibilities which include courts of general jurisdiction, including probate and divorce, actions, as well as jury trials.
Valencia County, New Mexico Census Records
- Learn More: State of New Mexico Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- Territorial Population Schedules: 1885
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Valencia County, New Mexico Vital Records
- Learn More: State of New Mexico Vital Records
- Birth & Death Records: from 1920 to present and delayed records since 1880.
- Marriage Records: None, See County Clerk's Office
- Divorce Records: None, See Magistrate Court's Office
- Locations: New Mexico Bureau of Vital Records
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: New Mexico Vital Records and Health Statistics, 1105 St. Francis Dr., Santa Fe, NM 87502; (505) 827-0121
Valencia County, New Mexico Resources
- Grants Family History Center, 1010 Bondad Ave., Grants, NM. Phone 505-287-2470
- Los Lunas Family History Center, 160 James St., Los Lunas, NM. Phone 505-865-9788
- Valencia County Historical Society, 104 North First Street, Belen, New Mexico, 87002.
- Acoma Pueblo Historical Society, P. O. Box 309, Acoma Pueblo, 87034.
- Valencia County, New Mexico Message Boards
- Valencia County, New Mexico Genealogy Forum read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Valencia County