Salem County, New Jersey Genealogy Guide
|Other NJ Resources|
|NJ Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
NJ Ancestor Records
NJ Military Databases
NJ Data Collections
NJ Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Salem County, New Jersey (Map It) was created on May 17, 1694 as one of two original counties created in West Jersey. The county was named for a Hebrew word meaning "peace" . Learn More About State of New Jersey History
Salem County Cities and Towns include Salem. Communities include Alloway CDP, Carneys Point CDP, Pennsville CDP, Olivet.
Salem County Townships include Alloway Township, Carneys Point Township, Elsinboro Township, Lower Alloways Creek Township, Mannington Township, Oldmans Township, Pennsville Township, Pilesgrove Township, Pittsgrove Township, Quinton Township, Upper Pittsgrove Township. Boroughs include Elmer, Penns Grove, Woodstown.
A Map of Salem County, New Jersey contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Salem County, New Jersey Courthouse Records
Salem County, NJ Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Salem county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered. Courts were established in 1681.
- Salem County Clerk has Land Records from 1766 mortgages /1786 deeds and Marriage Records from 1766. The County Clerk is responsible for land records, including deeds and mortgages, naturalizations, marriages (usually 1795-1840s), and various county court records. A few original county justice of the peace dockets are at the New Jersey State Archives.
- Salem County Surrogate Court / Orphan's Court has Probate Records from 1785 orphans' court minutes /1804 surrogates' records. The County Surrogate Court / Orphan's Court probates Wills, appoints Administrators, appoints Guardians for minors, handles applications for Adult Incapacitated Persons, Conservatorships, Adoptions, contested Probate matters, Accountings, Trusts and most other matters involving Estates.
- Salem County Treasurer is responsible for the collection of taxes.
- New Jersey Department of Health has copies of Birth, Marriage and Death records from 1878 to the present. There is a fee for each copy requested. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Salem County, New Jersey Census Records
- Learn More: State of New Jersey Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1643-1890
- State Population Schedules: 1895
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Salem County, New Jersey Vital Records
- Learn More: State of New Jersey Vital Records
- Birth, Marriage and Death Records: from 1901 to present
- Divorce Records: does not have divorce records. At the Superior Court of New Jersey Records Center
- Locations: New Jersey State Department of Health and Senior Services, New Jersey State Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: New Jersey State Department of Health and Senior Services, State Registrar Search Unit, PO Box 370, Trenton, NJ 08625-0370; (609) 292-4087
Salem County, New Jersey Resources
- Salem County Archives and Records Management
- Salem County Historical Society
- Salem County Genealogical Society
- New Jersey historical material in the public libraries of Salem County : a bibliography, 1609-1876
- Salem County, New Jersey Message Boards
- Salem County, New Jersey Genealogy Forum read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Salem County
Salem County, New Jersey External Links
- Historical Newspapers from New Jersey (1777 - 1972)
- Salem County, New Jersey Books - Amazon
- Salem County (New Jersey) marriage records
- South Jersey marriages
- Petitions for guardians
- Old deeds belonging to the Salem County Historical Society
- Salem County, New Jersey Genealogical Records
- Salem County wills : recorded in the Office of the Surrogate at Salem, New Jersey : 1831-1860
- Salem Co., New Jersey - FindaGrave
- Historical sketch of the Pittsgrove Baptist Church, Daretown, Salem County, New Jersey
- Translation of the Friesburg Emanuel Lutheran Church book
- Genealogical data : the Salem tenth in West New Jersey
- Directory of churches in New Jersey.
- Inventory of the church archives of New Jersey
- History of the counties of Gloucester, Salem, and Cumberland, New Jersey
- History and genealogy of Fenwick's Colony
- The history of Salem County, New Jersey
- Salem County, New Jersey Links - Cyndi's List
- Salem Co. NJGenweb
- Salem County, New Jersey Ancestry Database Collections
- Salem County NJ D.O.T. Map
- Salem County, New Jersey Military Records