Morris County, New Jersey Genealogy Guide
|Other NJ Resources|
|NJ Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
NJ Ancestor Records
NJ Military Databases
NJ Data Collections
NJ Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Morris County, New Jersey (Map It) was created on March 15, 1739 from Hunterdon County. The county was named in honor of Colonel Lewis Morris (1671–1746), colonial governor of New Jersey at the time of the county's formation . Learn More About State of New Jersey History
Morris County Cities and Towns include Boonton, Dover, Morristown. Communities include Budd Lake, Cedar Knolls, Cedar Lake, Convent Station, Flanders, Green Pond, Green Village, Hibernia, Lake Hiawatha, Lake Swannanoa, Lake Telemark, Landing, Long Valley, Mount Tabor, New Vernon, Pine Brook, Port Morris, Stirling, Succasunna-Kenvil, Towaco, Union Hill, Whippany, White Meadow Lake.
Morris County Townships include Boonton, Chatham, Chester, Denville, East Hanover, Hanover, Harding, Jefferson, Long Hill, Mendham, Mine Hill, Montville, Morris, Mount Olive, Parsippany-Troy Hills, Pequannock, Randolph, Rockaway, Roxbury, Washington. Boroughs include Butler, Chatham, Chester, Florham Park, Kinnelon, Lincoln Park, Madison, Mendham, Morris Plains, Mount Arlington, Mountain Lakes, Netcong, Rockaway, Riverdale, Victory Gardens, Wharton.
A Map of Morris County, New Jersey contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Morris County, New Jersey Courthouse Records
Morris County, NJ Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Morris county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered. Early Surrogate’s files and books, circuit court and court of common pleas records, naturalizations, marriages (1795 - 1876), and other material are located at the Morris County Records Center and Archives, 300 Mendham Rd., Morristown, NJ 07960, which should be contacted before a visit.
- Morris County Clerk has Land Records from 1765 mortgages /1785 deeds and Marriage Records from 1765. The County Clerk is responsible for land records, including deeds and mortgages, naturalizations, marriages (usually 1795-1840s), and various county court records. A few original county justice of the peace dockets are at the New Jersey State Archives.
- Morris CountySurrogate Court / Orphan's Court has Probate Records from 1785 orphans' court minutes /1804 surrogates' records. The County Surrogate Court / Orphan's Court probates Wills, appoints Administrators, appoints Guardians for minors, handles applications for Adult Incapacitated Persons, Conservatorships, Adoptions, contested Probate matters, Accountings, Trusts and most other matters involving Estates.
- Morris County Treasurer is responsible for the collection of taxes.
- New Jersey Department of Health has copies of Birth, Marriage and Death records from 1878 to the present. There is a fee for each copy requested. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Morris County, New Jersey Census Records
- Learn More: State of New Jersey Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1643-1890
- State Population Schedules: 1895
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Morris County, New Jersey Vital Records
- Learn More: State of New Jersey Vital Records
- Birth, Marriage and Death Records: from 1901 to present
- Divorce Records: does not have divorce records. At the Superior Court of New Jersey Records Center
- Locations: New Jersey State Department of Health and Senior Services, New Jersey State Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: New Jersey State Department of Health and Senior Services, State Registrar Search Unit, PO Box 370, Trenton, NJ 08625-0370; (609) 292-4087
Morris County, New Jersey Resources
- Morris County Historical Society
- Morris Area Genealogy Society
- Historical Society of Boonton Township
- Chatham Historical Society
- Chester Historical Society
- Cornish Heritage Society - East
- Denville Historical Society, Diamond Spring Rd, Denville, NJ 07834; 973-625-1165
- Harding Township Historical Society,16 Village Road New Vernon, NJ 07976; (973) 292-3661
- Lake Hopatcong Historical Society
- The Joint Free Library of Morristown
- Historical Society of Rockaways
- Morris County, New Jersey Message Boards
- Morris County, New Jersey Genealogy Forum read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Morris County
Morris County, New Jersey External Links
- Historical Newspapers from New Jersey (1777 - 1972)
- Morris County, New Jersey Books - Amazon
- Morris County, New Jersey Cemetery Inscriptions
- Rockaway records of Morris County, N.J., families
- Morristown, N.J., tomb stone inscriptions
- Inscriptions on the tomb stones and monuments in the graveyards at Whippany and Hanover
- Morris Co., New Jersey - FindaGrave
- History of the First Presbyterian Church, Morristown, N.J.
- Hardwick and Mendham Monthly Meeting & Warren and Morris Counties, New Jersey: Quaker Records
- Records of the Millbrook and Walnut Grove (Mount Freedom) Methodist Episcopal Churches of Randolph Township
- Record of baptisms and members of the True Dutch Reformed Church at Montville, N.J.
- Inventory of the church archives of New Jersey
- Northwestern New Jersey : a history of Somerset, Morris, Hunterdon, Warren and Sussex counties
- A History of Morris County, New Jersey embracing upwards of two centuries, 1710-1913
- Morris County, New Jersey Links - Cyndi's List
- Morris Co. NJGenweb
- Boyd's directory of Morristown, Dover, Madison, Boonton, Chatham, and Summit, 1899-1900
- Morristown, New Jersey Directories, 1887-88, 1890-91
- Lappin's Morris County (N.J.) directory for 1894-95
- Vogt Bros. complete Morris County, New Jersey, directory for 1897-98
- The Morris County directory for 1875-76
- Morris County, New Jersey Ancestry Database Collections
- Morristown, New Jersey, in the Spanish-American War
- Revolutionary fragments, Morris County, N.J.
- Morris County, New Jersey Military Records