Oregon County, Missouri Genealogy Guide
|Other MO Resources|
| MO Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
MO Ancestor Records
MO Military Databases
MO Data Collections
MO Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Oregon County is bordered by Shannon County (north), Carter County (northeast), Ripley County (east), Randolph County, Arkansas (southeast), Sharp County, Arkansas (south), Fulton County, Arkansas (southwest), Howell County (west).
Oregon County Cities and Towns include Alton, Bardley, Couch, Koshkonong, Myrtle, Thomasville, Thayer.
A Map of Oregon County, Missouri contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Oregon County, Missouri Courthouse Records
Oregon County, MO Courthouse
The Oregon County Courthouse is located in Alton, Missouri. In October 1863 this courthouse was burned in a Civil War incident, destroying many county records. Learn More About State of Missouri Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Oregon county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Oregon County Recorder of Deeds has Marriage Records from 1845-77, extant for 1845-61 and 1877 only and Land Records from 1845. The Recorder of Deeds is the place where all transactions having to do with land are recorded and kept on file. They take marriage license applications, issues marriage licenses, files the license after the marriage, and maintains a permanent record of the marriage, surveys and plats of subdivisions, Armed Forces discharge papers for all veterans who reside in the county. Some naturalization records have been found with the deeds.
- Oregon County Circuit Court Clerk / Probate Court Clerk has Probate Records from 1854 and Court & Divorce Records from extant for 1845-59 and 1872 only.The Circuit Court Clerk / Probate Court Clerk has the direct index to records such as divorces, adoptions, judgment, and tax fee books including direct and indirect indexes. They also retain the index to criminal records and criminal files of the circuit court. Adoptions are under the jurisdiction of the circuit court. Naturalization records, including petitions, declarations of intention, certificates, and certificates of allegiance, and granting of citizenship are also located in the clerk's office, as well as an index to civil case files. The County Probate Division has jurisdiction over the estates of deceased persons. The Division hears all litigation involving trusts, including those trusts established in wills.
- Oregon County Clerk of the Court has Birth & Death Records from 1883-90 . The Clerk of the Court has indexes to common pleas, records of all extant proceedings, chancery minute books, records of births and deaths, county court records, right-of-way and road records, as well as surveyor's records (including field notes and plats made by the county surveyor). This office usually holds the county treasurer's notes, bonds and commissions, records of marks and brands, wolf scalps, stray notices, real estate assessments, and tax books. In some counties, early terms for this court included “Chancery” or the “Court of Common Pleas.”
- Oregon County Tax Assessor Office is responsible for appraising and assessing real estate property and person property for the purpose of taxation as well as transferring ownership of real estate, and keeping real estate maps up to date.
- Local Records Inventory Database, produced by the Missouri Local Records Preservation Program, is a compilation of inventories of local government records identified as having permanent or enduring value and housed primarily in county and municipal offices, but includes some libraries, museums, and historical and genealogical societies that maintain government records. Not all Missouri offices have been inventoried.
- Oregon County Health Department has Birth Certificates since 1920 and Death Certificates since 1980
Oregon County, Missouri Census Records
- Learn More: State of Missouri Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820
- State Population Schedules: 1844-1881
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Oregon County, Missouri Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Missouri Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from January 1910 to present
- Marriage Records: from July 1948 to present
- Divorce Records: from July 1948 to present
- Locations: Missouri Office of Vital Statistics
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services, Bureau of Vital Records, Jefferson City, MO 65102, Telephone: 573-751-6387
Oregon County, Missouri Resources
- State of Missouri Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Missouri
- South Central Missouri Genealogical Society , 9 Court Square, West Plains, MO 65775
- Oregon County Genealogical Society, c/o Oregon County Courthouse, Alton, MO 65791
- Historical Society of Oregon County, Route 2, Box 3A, Koshkonong, MO 65692; Ph: (417) 867-3285
- Ozarks Genealogical Society
- Oregon County, Missouri Message Boards
- Oregon County, Missouri Genealogy Forum