Jackson County, Missouri Records
Jackson County, Missouri (Map It) was created on December 15, 1826 from Lafayette (formally Lillard) County. The county was named in honor of Andrew Jackson (1767-1845), U.S. Senator from Tennessee and later President of the United States.
Jackson County is bordered by Clay County (north), Ray County (northeast), Lafayette County (east), Johnson County (southeast), Cass County (south), Johnson County, Kansas (southwest), Wyandotte County, Kansas (northwest).
Jackson County Cities and Towns include Blue Springs, Blue Summit, Buckner, Grain Valley, Grandview, Greenwood, Independence, Kansas City, Lake Lotawana, Lake Tapawingo, Lee's Summit, Levasy, Lone Jack, Oak Grove, Raytown, River Bend, Sibley, Sugar Creek, Unity Village.
A Map of Jackson County, Missouri contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Jackson County, Missouri Courthouse Records
Jackson County, MO Courthouse
The Jackson County Courthouse is located in Kansas City, Missouri and Independence, Missouri. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Jackson county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Jackson County Recorder of Deeds has Marriage Records from 1827 and Land Records from 1827.
- Jackson County Circuit Court Clerk / Probate Court Clerk has Probate Records from 1828 and Court & Divorce Records from 1828.
- Jackson County Clerk of the Court has Birth & Death Records from 1883-95.
- Jackson County Tax Assessor Office is responsible for appraising and assessing real estate property and person property for the purpose of taxation as well as transferring ownership of real estate, and keeping real estate maps up to date.
- Local Records Inventory Database, produced by the Missouri Local Records Preservation Program, is a compilation of inventories of local government records identified as having permanent or enduring value and housed primarily in county and municipal offices, but includes some libraries, museums, and historical and genealogical societies that maintain government records. Not all Missouri offices have been inventoried.
- Jackson County Health Department has Birth Certificates since 1920 and Death Certificates since 1980
Jackson County, Missouri Census Records
- Learn More: State of Missouri Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1820 (missing), 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820
- State Population Schedules: 1844-1881
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Jackson County, Missouri Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Missouri Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from January 1910 to present
- Marriage Records: from July 1948 to present
- Divorce Records: from July 1948 to present
- Locations: Missouri Office of Vital Statistics
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services, Bureau of Vital Records, Jefferson City, MO 65102, Telephone: 573-751-6387
Jackson County, Missouri Resources
- RAOGK Volunteers for Missouri
- Jackson County Genealogical Society
- Jackson County Historical Society
- Union Cemetery Historical Society
- American Family Records Association, P.O. Box 15505, Kansas City, MO 64106
- Kansas City Public Library, Special Collections Department
- Blue Springs Historical Society
- Black Archives of Mid-America
- Bingham-Waggoner Historical Society
- Chouteau Society
- Kansas City Museum/Science City at Union Station
- Lees Summit Historical Society
- Civil War Round Table of Kansas City
- Lone Jack Civil War Battlefield Museum and Soldiers Cemetery
- Civil War Round Table of the Trans-Mississippi, 2704 Glenwood, Independence, MO 64052; Ph: (816) 461-4776
- Daughters of Old Westport, 5200 Pennsylvania Avenue, Kansas City, MO 64112; Phone: (816) 784-5300
- Civil War Round Table of Western Missouri , 17216 NE 134 Terr, KEARNEY, MO 64060; 816-628-9910
- Alexander Majors Historical Foundation, 8201 State Line Rd, Kansas City, MO 64114; Ph: (816) 333-5556
- Missouri Mormon Frontier Foundation
- Friends of Historic Fort Osage
- Midwest Afro-American Genealogy Interest Coalition (M.A.G.I.C.)
- Grain Valley Historical Society, P.O. Box 414, 506 Main Street, Grain Valley, MO 64029
- Native Sons of Kansas City
- Grandview Historical Society, P.O. Box 512, 1205 Jones, Grandview, MO 64030
- Heart of America Genealogical Society and Library, c/o Kansas City Public Library , 311 East Twelfth Street, Kansas City, MO 64106; Phone: (816) 701-3445
- New Santa Fe Historical Society
- Heritage League of Greater Kansas City
- Raytown Historical Society & Museum
- Reorganized Church Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints Library-Archives
- St. Marys Pioneer Historical Society, 923 North Main Street, Independence, MO 64050; Phone: (816) 252-0121
- The Society of the Friends of Missouri Town-1855
- Westport Historical Society
- West Central Missouri Genealogical Society and Library
- Jackson County, Missouri Message Boards
- Jackson County, Missouri Genealogy Forum
Jackson County, Missouri External Links
- Missouri Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Jackson County, Missouri Books - Amazon
- Jackson Co., Missouri - FindaGrave
- Guide to Jackson County and Municipal Records on Microfilm - Missouri State Archives
- Missouri Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Jackson County, Missouri Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Missouri (1808 - 1922)
- Jackson Co. MOGenweb
- Jackson County, Missouri Ancestry Database Collections
- Jackson County, Missouri Military Records