Renville County, Minnesota Genealogy Guide
|Other MN Resources|
| MN Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
MN Ancestor Records
MN Military Databases
MN Data Collections
MN Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Renville County, Minnesota (Map It) was created on February 20, 1855 (Organized in 1866) from Nicollet County and Pierce County and Sibley County. The county was named in honor of Joseph Renville (1779-1846), captain in the British Army who led the Dakotas in attacks on the American frontier during the War of 1812; served as interpreter in Long Expedition to Red River and Lake Winnipeg in 1823; later employed as a trader for the American Fur Company. Learn More About State of Minnesota History
Renville County is bordered by Kandiyohi County (north), Meeker County (northeast), McLeod County (east), Sibley County (east,southeast), Nicollet County (south), Brown County (southeast), Redwood County (southwest), Yellow Medicine County (west), Chippewa County (northwest).
Cities and towns located in the county include Bird Island, Buffalo Lake, Danube, Fairfax, Franklin, Hector, Morton, Olivia, Redwood Falls, Renville, Sacred Heart
Renville County Townships include Bandon, Beaver Falls, Birch Cooley, Bird Island, Boon Lake, Brookfield, Cairo, Camp, Crooks, Emmet, Ericson, Flora, Hawk Creek, Hector, Henryville, Kingman, Martinsburg, Melville, Norfolk, Osceola, Palmyra, Preston Lake, Sacred Heart, Troy, Wang, Wellington, Winfield Townships.
A Map of Renville County, Minnesota contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Renville County, Minnesota Courthouse Records
Renville County, MN Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Renville county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Renville County Recorder has Birth / Death Records from 1870, Marriage Records from 1867 and Land Records from 1864. The County Recorder is responsible for all the real estate records for properties located in the County. Permanent records of deeds, mortgages and other various real estate records are recorded/filed in this office. As Local Registrar, the office protects and issues certified copies of Birth and Death records, Marriage Certificates & Military Discharge Records.
- Renville County Court Administrator has Probate Records from 1893 and Court Records from 1870. The County Court Administrator maintains court files for Civil, Criminal, Traffic, Probate, Conciliation, Juvenile, Tax and Family Court matters.
- Renville County Treasurers Office is responsible for keeping a complete accounting of all monies collected and expended by all the county departments. This includes the investing of available funds and accurately distributing the interest received. The department is also responsible for the collection of taxes and distribution to the various taxing entities within the County.
Renville County, Minnesota Census Records
- Learn More: State of Minnesota Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- State Census Reconstructed Records: 1835-1890
- State Population Schedules: Territorial and State Censuses, 1849-1905
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Renville County, Minnesota Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Minnesota Vital Records
- Birth Records: from January 1900 to present
- Marriage Records: None Check with the Local County Registrar
- Divorce Records: None Check with the Local County Registrar
- Death Records: from January 1908 to present
- Locations: Minnesota Office of Vital Statistics, P.O. Box 64882, St. Paul, MN 55164; (651) 201-5970
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Death Certificates Applications.
Renville County, Minnesota Resources
- State of Minnesota Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Minnesota
- Renville County Historical and Genealogical Society
- Renville County Genealogical Society
- Southwest Minnesota Historical Center
- Renville County, Minnesota Message Boards
- Renville County, Minnesota Genealogy Forum